• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hard sell from the water board

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Does anyone else get these? has anyone bought the insurance? What is the likelihood of such a catastrophic water pipe rupture?
    Our's broke a few years back. Some monkey turned up with his machine to bash a new, bright blue pipe under the driveway. Was a few hundred quid, not too excessive.

Rhubarb.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      P.S. Anyone know how to kill a mature plane tree without leaving any trace? I tried researching this, but apparently they are as tough as old boots and can survive anything short of a direct nuclear strike (hence the reason so many are planted in cities).
      Cut a hole in the bark 1-2 inch diameter near the base of the tree. Save the bark (you'll need it later). Drill into the (now exposed) flesh to a depth of about 8-12 inches and a about a 1/4 inch less diameter. Fill the new hole with rock or table salt to 4-6 inches and the rest with water. Get some tree bark glue and glue the bark back into place.

Ideally, you should do this under the soil line, so it's less detectable.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        P.S. Anyone know how to kill a mature plane tree without leaving any trace?
        That's appalling. You should be ashamed.

Next you'll be wanting someone to suggest typing 'copper nail tree' in to Google to see all the different ways people have suggested to answer the same question.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
          That's appalling. You should be ashamed.
          Yes, obviously you should never kill a tree subject to a conservation order or in a conservation area. That would be illegal.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            Cut a hole in the bark 1-2 inch diameter near the base of the tree. Save the bark (you'll need it later). Drill into the (now exposed) flesh to a depth of about 8-12 inches and a about a 1/4 inch less diameter. Fill the new hole with rock or table salt to 4-6 inches and the rest with water. Get some tree bark glue and glue the bark back into place.

Ideally, you should do this under the soil line, so it's less detectable.
            A tree bloke I know said similar, drill down below the tree line and pour in bleach. I wouldn't worry about them knowing it was killed rather than just died, just make sure it's dark and you wear a balaclava when performing the act. They'll never prove it !

The 50K quote sounds like a job for Rogue Traders, get some more quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Who owns the pipe? Isn't the mains water pipe and the bit that goes to your house owned by the water company and used as a means for delivering their product to your home and making a profit from said product?
              This is like a furniture company asking you to buy insurance for their delivery vans, or indeed a milkman asking you to insure his float.
              Good point. Apparently responsibility can be dependant upon the age of your property. South West Water, who charge me in excess of £1200 a year for my water, () put their hands up as being responsible for all pipework on properties older than 70 years. I phoned them up last year when we had sewage seeping up through our drive and they even pointed this fact out. So it is worth checking if you own an older place.
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Good point. Apparently responsibility can be dependant upon the age of your property. South West Water, who charge me in excess of £1200 a year for my water, () put their hands up as being responsible for all pipework on properties older than 70 years. I phoned them up last year when we had sewage seeping up through our drive and they even pointed this fact out. So it is worth checking if you own an older place.
                aah nice tip - many thanks - maybe I can get my water co to replace all the lead pipes!
                This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
                  Our's broke a few years back. Some monkey turned up with his machine to bash a new, bright blue pipe under the driveway. Was a few hundred quid, not too excessive.

Rhubarb.
                  That's about what I heard, so I decided not to insure. It probably won't happen, but if it does then I can afford it. That's my definition of no need for insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                    I regularly get letters from the water company trying to sell me pipe insurance - with scare stories along the lines of "if the pipe between your house and the road bursts you could be in for a massive bill" etc...

Does anyone else get these? has anyone bought the insurance? What is the likelihood of such a catastrophic water pipe rupture?
                    Is this like that waterboarding even CIA agents can only stand 20 seconds of?
                    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

I got this letter from Thames Water yesterday this could a case for ............Watchdog

Comment

Working...
                      X