Gaia theory Gaia theory
Posts 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Gaia theory

Super poster

ratewhore has no reputation

Default Gaia theory

James Lovelock was on R4 this morning. He reckons within 100 years the population level will be reduced from 7 billion to 1 billion. Also, he says climate refugees will be coming to places such as the UK in huge numbers.

He reckons we need to start building the infrastructure to take these refugees now and that we need to invest in schools, roads and houses for them.

Having listened to him, I don't think I can take him seriously, although he does mention over-population as more of an issue than carbon control. I agree with him that much...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Double Godlike!

Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by ratewhore View Post
    James Lovelock was on R4 this morning. He reckons within 100 years the population level will be reduced from 7 billion to 1 billion. Also, he says climate refugees will be coming to places such as the UK in huge numbers.

He reckons we need to start building the infrastructure to take these refugees now and that we need to invest in schools, roads and houses for them.
    I'm not sure that it will fall that sharply, (it would take something close to total collapse of all society) but fall it must. If the planet adjusts so that only 20-odd% of the current survivable land can support a population then it will have to happen.

Who says they will come to UK anyway?

Having listened to him, I don't think I can take him seriously, although he does mention over-population as more of an issue than carbon control. I agree with him that much...
    Me too.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Contractor Among Contractors

ace00 is too good to be a permie

Gaia theory is a load of un-scientific crudulence, and it is a very short step from Gaia believers to the AGW faithful.
    Bored.

Godlike

expat has more data than eek

So do I. I've been whingeing for decades that we are already suffering from overpopulation, but as long as it still seems tolerable nobody cares. It's like boiling a frog: do it by slowly increasing the temperature and the frog never quite notices that things have got so bad that it's time to jump.