• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GoogleFail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoogleFail

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7907583.stm

Hands up all those who what to consign their application data to The Cloud?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post

Google's more reliable than any Corporate network I've ever used. Also, I know the backup regime on my home network is not perfect. (I'm never going to go to the trouble of keeping off-line backups, let alone in a fireproof safe, or at a separate site.)

I must find a reliable free backup service on the web, for my documents. There must be one out there, by now.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
      I must find a reliable free backup service on the web, for my documents. There must be one out there, by now.
      Yes there is. It's called a password protected zip file and a gmail account.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        Yes there is. It's called a password protected zip file and a gmail account.
        Um - a Gmail account?

He did say 'reliable' which Gmail proves not to be.

How about a password protected zip file and a memory stick (or pocket HDD if you have enough data to warrant it)?

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

He did say 'reliable' which Gmail proves not to be.
          I didn't notice it was down. I've received and answered emails on my blackberry all day.

Looking at the facts, 4 hours downtime in the last 6 months doesn't seem that bad to me.

I've had whole days (about 3 times) without email at current clientco in the same 6 months.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            I didn't notice it was down. I've received and answered emails on my blackberry all day.

Looking at the facts, 4 hours downtime in the last 6 months doesn't seem that bad to me.

I've had whole days (about 3 times) without email at current clientco in the same 6 months.
            Well it was certainly down for me, and loads of other people.

Comment

yeah, I noticed it was down too from my PC, but was able to connect via my iPhone

Comment

Here's some of 'em. From the Telegraph:

Several major companies, including Telegraph Media Group and The Guardian, have switched to using the Google Apps suite in place of conventional desktop email. Google Apps allows users to work collaboratively on documents via the web, as well as share calendars, and provides instant messaging and chat alongside Gmail email services.
                From the same article:

It appears that only web-based Gmail access is affected, and users can continue to send and receive messages using other devices, such as mobile phones and third-party mail clients.
                Last edited by Sysman; 24 February 2009, 15:30. Reason: posts merged
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post

IDrive is brilliant. 2Gig online backup for free. All you data is encrypted, and it maps the online files as a drive on your machine for easy access.
                  Originally posted by cailin maith
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    Here's some of 'em. From the Telegraph:
                    BUSINESS CONTINGENCY PLAN

SECTION VI - INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

Executive Summary

6.1 In progress.

SECTION VII - INVESTMENTS

Executive Summary

7.1 Use a stable but non-USA and non-EU bank, e.g. in Iceland.
                    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                    X