• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Begging bowl for aviation enthusiasts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of my friends used to build them at A.V ROE in Woodford. A fantastic aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
      Hi folks -

Anyone who has any interest in XH558 (the last remaining Avro Vulcan, restored and maintained by nutters with nothing better to do), we have 9 more days to raise 600k or she is grounded, possibly for good.

Full story (and how to pledge if anyone is feeling exceptionally kind hearted and wants to help maintain this fabulous aircraft) is here

What a shame she isn't a bank
      I remember what happened last time CUK readers were asked to donate to a good cause
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        I remember what happened last time CUK readers were asked to donate to a good cause
        Yeah, the sniper we hired to shoot you ran off with the money!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          A couple of my friends used to build them at A.V ROE in Woodford. A fantastic aircraft.
          Are they involved in this project? I'm pretty sure there is at least one of the guys from Woodford who is mucking in.
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I remember them flying very low over my house when I was a kid living in Norfolk. It was a good job my house was a Bungalow. I used to see lots of good planes from my garden*, especially running up to the annual air displays at Coltishall and the like.

There was also another delta wing at the time called a Javelin. It was smaller though.

* Front and back.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              I remember them flying very low over my house when I was a kid living in Norfolk. It was a good job my house was a Bungalow. I used to see lots of good planes from my garden*, especially running up to the annual air displays at Coltishall and the like.

There was also another delta wing at the time called a Javelin. It was smaller though.

* Front and back.
              Wow. Impressive.

The fact that you owned a bungalow when you were a kid, I mean.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I remember seeing one about 10 years ago and to this day I don't think I've heard a noisier aircraft and that includes Concorde ...not exactly a stealthy bomber!
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I remember seeing one about 10 years ago and to this day I don't think I've heard a noisier aircraft and that includes Concorde ...not exactly a stealthy bomber!
                  In 1961, four nuclear bombers entered United States airspace, flying high above the maximum altitude of the defending American fighters. Three jammed the ground-based and airborne radars directed at them. The fourth arrived unchallenged and unforeseen, over New York City.

The aircraft was an Avro Vulcan bomber, capable of carrying a 21,000lb nuclear payload. It looked like a scary version of Concorde. The New York stunt was part of an Anglo-American military exercise which proved the plane's ability to deliver nuclear bombs wherever they might be needed, whoever the enemy. The RAF called it "the tin triangle".

Comment

I will contribute to the other last remaining one at Southend.

Definitely an icon - I've seen them often at airshows and the noise is phenomenal.
                    "take me to your leader"

Comment

I was at work at RAF Waddington in 1993 when this aircraft took off for, supposedly, it's last flight. All my section got on the roof to see it off. Given that we were not far from the runway, it was awesome not just to see, but to hear and feel as well.

And XH607, the Vulcan that dropped it's bombs on Port Stanley runway, was the station gate guard. I think they may have moved it by now...
                      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Working...
                      X