• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Begging bowl for aviation enthusiasts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Begging bowl for aviation enthusiasts

Hi folks -

Anyone who has any interest in XH558 (the last remaining Avro Vulcan, restored and maintained by nutters with nothing better to do), we have 9 more days to raise 600k or she is grounded, possibly for good.

Full story (and how to pledge if anyone is feeling exceptionally kind hearted and wants to help maintain this fabulous aircraft) is here

What a shame she isn't a bank
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Personally I think it's the end of the line. Some aircraft should be grounded in a museum (not scrapped). She just does not have the nostalgia of a Spitfire or Lancaster.

Comment

With respect I disagree. The Vulcan is an icon of its time (Delta Wing bomber) and saw active service in the Falklands – carrying out the longest distance active bombing missing of all time – 8,000 round trip from Ascension Island to bomb the run way at Port Stanley.

The plane is simply part of our heritage which can only be thrown away once. I was able to see the Vulcan fly over South Leicestershire during one of its trail flights last year and it is truly a site to behold.

One thing that erks me is that while £1Million is a lot of money – The money should be found - £43M provided for a new “elite” opera hall for London was a waste IMO.
      www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Assuming the Vulcan is the one I think it is - the massive triangle shape - I'm sure I saw "the world's only working Vulcan bomber" at an airshow over 10 years ago in Cornwall.
        Is it the same one?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

from wikipedia's entry about the Avro Vulcan

"Testing the vehicle was relatively crude in those days, for example, recording the instrument readings involved filming the control panel and manually transcribing the results onto graph paper. As well, testing the brakes of the Vulcan included strapping the company photographer Paul Culerne to the front landing gear with the aircraft moving at full landing speed and photographing the brakes in operation...

Only the pilot and co-pilot were provided with ejection seats. The fact that the "rear crew" were not provided ejection seats has been the basis of significant criticism; there were several instances of the pilot and co-pilot ejecting in an emergency and the "rear crew" being killed because there was not time for them to bail out."

British engineering at its best

although i think the above is comic genius, I have pledged, it's a fantastic plane
          Last edited by chef; 26 February 2009, 08:27.
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Hi PM-Junkie

Thanks for letting us know. I didn't realise things were so bad.

I saw it fly at Farnborough last year, and it was great to see it in the air again after so long.

It would be a tragedy for it to be grounded again.

I shall be contributing.
            Originally posted by cailin maith
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

My old man flew these for many many years during the cold war when they carried special barrels of sunshine.

I never really realised what his job was until I got older and asked whether a bomb detonating on target would affect the plane. He replied it didn't really matter as the place he would have taken off from (the base we lived on) would most likely not exist so there'd be nowhere to go back to and land.

When they scrapped the plane, the waste was terrible, 10s of brand new Olympus engines smashed up etc etc. They even sold the carcasses for scrap at below market value. The titanium blocks shielding the engines being worth far more than what they went for.

Comment

I remember being in school in LOndon over 30 years ago and the teachers letting us outside to see the Vulcans fly past (on the Queen's birthday etc...). Stuck in my memory ever since.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

see above - he was a full stop I think

Comment

I had the privilege of sitting in the right hand seat of this baby during one of its last flights.

Linky

An awesome aeroplane.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X