• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

broadband in every home by 2012.. i think not

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broadband in every home by 2012.. i think not

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7910679.stm

The government faces a "massive challenge" in its pledge to bring UK broadband up to a minimum of 2Mbps (megabits per second) say experts... "Towns such as Basingstoke and Milton Keynes which people might expect to be well connected have notspots,.. We forecast that over 90% of UK homes could have broadband access in 10 years time, almost all with speeds of 32Mbps," he predicted.

But, in order to achieve this, the government needs to back the right technology and make sure conditions are favourable

[yeah right]

PERCENTAGE OF UK OUT OF RANGE OF 2MBPS
    East Midlands - 15.2%
    East of England - 15%
    London - 1.2%
    North East - 15.8%
    North West - 10.8%
    South East - 13.5%
    South West - 19.9%
    West Midlands - 10.4%
    Yorkshire/Humber - 16.1%
    Northern Ireland - 32.2%
    Scotland - 15.6%
    Wales - 26.9%
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Meanwhile, some in less benighted countries get 100Mb/s
    100Mb/s? How quaint.

Remember guys to keep banging them rocks together.

threaded "glad he's not in ye olde ængland" mode.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I've got 2Mb/s and I use nowhere near that bandwidth. They're about to upgrade me to 10Mb/s for free (Telewest/Virgin).

What to do with all this bandwidth?
      Cats are evil.

Comment

I would say that the 'massive challenge' faced by the Govt is next years election, never mind farking broadband...
        Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Anyone here got ADSL 2 - speed vastly increased over ADSL and no changes to infrastructure.

My ADSL provider is marketing it to businesses - I'm thinking of taking a look once I'm back on a gig.
          "take me to your leader"

Comment

Maybe they should realise that some people really do not want it.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              I've got 2Mb/s and I use nowhere near that bandwidth. They're about to upgrade me to 10Mb/s for free (Telewest/Virgin).

What to do with all this bandwidth?
              I've got the 20Mb/s service, and it's damn slow. I need speeeeeeed!!
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I've got 100Mb, as far as my router. After that it slows down a bit.

Surely towns like Basingstoke and Milton Keynes can easily be crossed off by 3G mobile broadband (if they don't have it already).
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  I've got 100Mb, as far as my router. After that it slows down a bit.

Surely towns like Basingstoke and Milton Keynes can easily be crossed off by 3G mobile broadband (if they don't have it already).
                  I lve neari(ish) Milton Keynes. We get about 1/2 Mb from BT. That's a half, not one-to-two BTW. They were happy to sell us "up to 8Mb" but we measured it and queried it, yes they said you can only expect 1Mb or less in your location.

This is a highly-populated area of the UK, what's with the idea of 3G? Just fix the lines.

Comment

1.8M in Slug, the home of technology.

Not exactly impressive.

Oh sorry Bangalore Telecom aren't good with ADSL. Maybe if they were Busan Telecom?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X