• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Public Sector Pensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It should be done the way it is on Oz, the employer has a responsibility to pay for the pension, 7% I think it was there.

Can you see the public sector taking a 7% wage drop to pay for something that will be given to them?
    Public pensions aren't free !!!!!!!!

My wife works for the local city council and on her 50K she pays 500 after tax into her pension.

Over the last 20 years at 5% that would give her in the order of 225K. her pension if she took it now would only be 14K !!!!

However this money is effectively an employee subsidy to the council as it doesn't go into a pot as the council use it, much like NI.

If the council went over to a traditional big company pension where both employer and employee both paid into a pot that the council couldn't use then wage costs would increase by 20%.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Public pensions aren't free !!!!!!!!

My wife works for the local city council and on her 50K she pays 500 after tax into her pension.

Over the last 20 years at 5% that would give her in the order of 225K. her pension if she took it now would only be 14K !!!!

However this money is effectively an employee subsidy to the council as it doesn't go into a pot as the council use it, much like NI.

If the council went over to a traditional big company pension where both employer and employee both paid into a pot that the council couldn't use then wage costs would increase by 20%.
      I think you will find £500 a month after tax is equivalent to £1250 a month after the tax credit. And that amounts to 450000 aftre 20 years of 5% growth.

And thats fine if it is funded from her contributions alone (seems a very big sum, £500 a month after tax income going into a pension for a £50K job, or have you not explaine dit well/me not understood it well?)

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
        Its all much of a non-issue when the economy is booming, loads money wot etc...

but when the tulip hits the fan, is when we see what is truly WORTHY of our hard earned (ahem) taxes.

It was never a non-issue. The time to correct these problems is when the economy is doing well. Waiting until we are in a depression is totally ridiculous and public spending cuts should have been made years ago because booms do not last for ever and money should be put aside for the bad times. Now we have absolutely no spare room for tax cuts to boost the economy.

The fact is that Labour never take tough decisions because they do not want to upset their paymasters, the unions, and thus 'bottled' public sector pension changes about five years ago when threatened with strikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Solidec View Post
          I think you will find £500 a month after tax is equivalent to £1250 a month after the tax credit. And that amounts to 450000 aftre 20 years of 5% growth.

And thats fine if it is funded from her contributions alone (seems a very big sum, £500 a month after tax income going into a pension for a £50K job, or have you not explaine dit well/me not understood it well?)
          Councils run a super annuation scheme not a pension pot as such so tax credits etc don't come into it. They pay a % based on salary and then get a pension worked out on average salary over the number of years worked.

What I was trying to point out was these pensions aren't free albeit they are good ones if you live a good while after retirement as they are index linked.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
            Councils run a super annuation scheme not a pension pot as such so tax credits etc don't come into it. They pay a % based on salary and then get a pension worked out on average salary over the number of years worked.

What I was trying to point out was these pensions aren't free albeit they are good ones if you live a good while after retirement as they are index linked.

These are exactly the type of pension that have been closed in the private sector to new entrants because they are unaffordable, and many have even lost their pensions when their employer has gone bust, which is not going to happen in the nannied public sector.

These types of pensions have to be stopped for new employees, the same as has happened in the private sector, and retirement ages have to be increased as they also have in the private sector, because it is the hard-pressed taxpayer that is paying these unsustainable, ever increasing employer's contributions.

It's time for a government with the guts to take the bull by the horns and to make public sector pensions equate with the private sector to avoid a two-tier system. I expect the Tories to do this as they are the only party that will ever take on the unions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
              These are exactly the type of pension that have been closed in the private sector to new entrants because they are unaffordable, and many have even lost their pensions when their employer has gone bust, which is not going to happen in the nannied public sector.

These types of pensions have to be stopped for new employees, the same as has happened in the private sector, and retirement ages have to be increased as they also have in the private sector, because it is the hard-pressed taxpayer that is paying these unsustainable, ever increasing employer's contributions.

It's time for a government with the guts to take the bull by the horns and to make public sector pensions equate with the private sector to avoid a two-tier system. I expect the Tories to do this as they are the only party that will ever take on the unions.

Fine in theory but cripplingly expensive for the next 20 - 40 years until worked through. Currently council employee super ann pays for most of the pensions. Therefore new employees would not be contributing to this so more money would have to be found and also the employer contribution to be found.

Now if the council want to match my wifes 500 a month, great, retire even earlier.

Comment

What is really mindblowing about the incompetence of Brown etc., is that they thought that giving Goodwin an index-linked pension guarantee from the age of 50 was cheaper than just sacking him.

Comment

In the olden days public sector employees were not as well paid as the private sector so the pension was seen quite rightly as equitable and a reward for long and trusted public service. These days for similar roles public sector employees are more highly paid than the private sector (and in addition the growth of lucrative public sector non-jobs) the reverse is now true. The public sector pension is now unfair and should be scrapped.
                  Last edited by Lockhouse; 27 February 2009, 13:52.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                  X