• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is wine addictive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I absolutely, absolutely love wine.

I really enjoy a night in by myself with a good bottle of wine. Really love it.

It is addictive though and can lead to bad health so I am careful with it.

I only allow myself to drink on my own once in a while as a treat and I try and be careful with social drinking.

My family have had various health problems so it is something I just can't be casual about.

Comment

London, Jan 23 (ANI): Britons who are used to enjoying evenings at home with a bottle of wine should now think twice before taking that extra sip of alcohol, for a Government survey has claimed that such regular drinking is putting the lives of over 7 million middle-class drinkers at risk.

The new General Household Survey is a poll of the adults in almost 13,000 homes, and is conducted by the Office for National Statistics.

And the survey has claimed that middle aged, professional Britons have a higher tendency to exceed recommended daily levels of alcohol consumption than the working-classes, with twice as many drinking every night of the week.

But, keeping in mind the increasing strength of alcoholic drinks and the trend for larger measures, the government has put in place new measurements to calculate the intake of alcohol.

Thus, one large glass of wine now counts as three units, a medium glass as two and a small glass as one-and-a-half.

Men are advised to consume no more than three or four units in any one day, while women are told not to have more than two or three.

However, the survey revealed that 37 per cent of adults regularly exceed this benchmark.

According to the researchers, many middle class drinkers insist they know what the safe level of alcohol consumption is, which means that they do not believe they are drinking too much

The study also claimed that middle class drinkers are more likely to indulge in “heavy” drinking, which means drinking double the recommended daily limit on a given evening.

In the survey, almost one in four middle-class drinkers admitted to drinking to this level at least once a week, which equates to a man having three pints of strong lager or a woman drinking two large glasses of wine.

However, many middle class professionals are unlikely to regard half a bottle of wine a night as heavy drinking.

Comment

bloody nanny state. bah.
        "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
          bloody nanny state. bah.
          My point exactly. If you suck on the tit of the nanny state you can't complain if the nanny state smacks you around and controls you.

Abolish the NHS, let everyone get their own private health insurance. The premiums WILL be based on lifestyle. Then people are entitled to do what they want to do.

PS It will take a few years but it will happen. The country is bankrupt and the NHS is growing. Eventually it will all explode.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            My point exactly. If you suck on the tit of the nanny state you can't complain if the nanny state smacks you around and controls you.

Abolish the NHS, let everyone get their own private health insurance. The premiums WILL be based on lifestyle. Then people are entitled to do what they want to do.

PS It will take a few years but it will happen. The country is bankrupt and the NHS is growing. Eventually it will all explode.
            Fair point, but the NHS is one sacred cow that no party will pledge to get rid of, certainly not in the next 30 years at least I'd wager.
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              Fair point, but the NHS is one sacred cow that no party will pledge to get rid of, certainly not in the next 30 years at least I'd wager.

True it will be forced on the party in power by economic circumstances.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
              X