• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NI - Maternity Allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NI - Maternity Allowance

Hi all

Been looking at maternity allowance stuff, and have dropped the ball a bit here I think. Had a new Ltd Co incepted last year, and was registered as self employed. I am not however paying the NI contribution from my personal account which I should be, apparantly. I am therefore surely not able to get maternity allowance.

Any advice on how to tackle the NI issue with HMRC without incurring a fine - should it not have been automatic from their end? Also, any advice re: self employed maternity gubbins would be brill, too.

Ta all
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

When you're self employed they will send you a statement every quarter (I think) with how much you're supposed to pay.

Have you not been getting these?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

No - nothing at all. My accountant registered me as self employed. The HMRC website mentions completing a direct debit form in order to pay the NI, can it also be paid quarterly? Am just wondering whether I should contact HMRC, come clean and see what can be done. Just a bit worried they will fine me on top though, too.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I'm confused here - if you're working through your limited company then being self-employed doesn't come into it. If you ARE self-employed, then yes you should be paying NI out of your bank account. If so, why the Ltd Co?

Comment

Well, see I dont know, this is where I got slightly confused, too. This is all based on what my accountant said to me yesterday - before then I had no idea about having to pay NI, didnt think it was relevant.

To me, Ltd Co does not = self employed? Am I being a moron?
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            Well, see I dont know, this is where I got slightly confused, too. This is all based on what my accountant said to me yesterday - before then I had no idea about having to pay NI, didnt think it was relevant.

To me, Ltd Co does not = self employed? Am I being a moron?
            Ltd does not = self employed. You are, or should be, an employee of YourCo Ltd.

YourCo should be responcible for paying employers NI and deducting and paying you NI contributions on your behalf. It should also be responcible for administering any Maternity Pay/Leave etc.

Who is your accountant?
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Ltd does not = self employed. You are, or should be, an employee of YourCo Ltd.

YourCo should be responcible for paying employers NI and deducting and paying you NI contributions on your behalf. It should also be responcible for administering any Maternity Pay/Leave etc.

Who is your accountant?
              Yup, that makes sense to me. My accountant is a family friend, and he's confused me recently by saying he's been looking into what help I can get 'from the government' while off work. I had been under the impression that would be zero, as my Ltd Co would be responsible for paying me maternity pay. So what the fluff is he on about. He keeps whittering on about me having been 'registered self employed', too.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                Yup, that makes sense to me. My accountant is a family friend, and he's confused me recently by saying he's been looking into what help I can get 'from the government' while off work. I had been under the impression that would be zero, as my Ltd Co would be responsible for paying me maternity pay. So what the fluff is he on about. He keeps whittering on about me having been 'registered self employed', too.
                It sounds like he's confused about the definition of a sole-trader.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It sounds like he has assumed you are working as a sole trader. ie "Mary Poppins trading as YourCo."

If so you need to sort it out smartish as there could be some nasty tax implications lurking in there.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Not sure on this Dave, as there are two Co Directors? Blimey I'm confused now. Also slightly confused (and annoyed with self for not noticing before) that he doesn't seem to have deducted N.I as well as PAYE etc when invoices go through.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X