NI - Maternity Allowance NI - Maternity Allowance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Godlike

    MaryPoppins is NOT a disguised employee

    MaryPoppins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    None of your business.
    Posts
    8,209

    Default NI - Maternity Allowance

    Hi all

    Been looking at maternity allowance stuff, and have dropped the ball a bit here I think. Had a new Ltd Co incepted last year, and was registered as self employed. I am not however paying the NI contribution from my personal account which I should be, apparantly. I am therefore surely not able to get maternity allowance.

    Any advice on how to tackle the NI issue with HMRC without incurring a fine - should it not have been automatic from their end? Also, any advice re: self employed maternity gubbins would be brill, too.

    Ta all

  2. #2

    Double Godlike!

    Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

    Moscow Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,580

    Default

    When you're self employed they will send you a statement every quarter (I think) with how much you're supposed to pay.

    Have you not been getting these?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

  3. #3

    Godlike

    MaryPoppins is NOT a disguised employee

    MaryPoppins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    None of your business.
    Posts
    8,209

    Default

    No - nothing at all. My accountant registered me as self employed. The HMRC website mentions completing a direct debit form in order to pay the NI, can it also be paid quarterly? Am just wondering whether I should contact HMRC, come clean and see what can be done. Just a bit worried they will fine me on top though, too.

  4. #4

    Ducklike

    Platypus is NOT a disguised employee

    Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the pub
    Posts
    8,894

    Default

    I'm confused here - if you're working through your limited company then being self-employed doesn't come into it. If you ARE self-employed, then yes you should be paying NI out of your bank account. If so, why the Ltd Co?

  5. #5

    Godlike

    MaryPoppins is NOT a disguised employee

    MaryPoppins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    None of your business.
    Posts
    8,209

    Default

    Well, see I dont know, this is where I got slightly confused, too. This is all based on what my accountant said to me yesterday - before then I had no idea about having to pay NI, didnt think it was relevant.

    To me, Ltd Co does not = self employed? Am I being a moron?

  6. #6

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Well, see I dont know, this is where I got slightly confused, too. This is all based on what my accountant said to me yesterday - before then I had no idea about having to pay NI, didnt think it was relevant.

    To me, Ltd Co does not = self employed? Am I being a moron?
    Ltd does not = self employed. You are, or should be, an employee of YourCo Ltd.

    YourCo should be responcible for paying employers NI and deducting and paying you NI contributions on your behalf. It should also be responcible for administering any Maternity Pay/Leave etc.

    Who is your accountant?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  7. #7

    Godlike

    MaryPoppins is NOT a disguised employee

    MaryPoppins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    None of your business.
    Posts
    8,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Ltd does not = self employed. You are, or should be, an employee of YourCo Ltd.

    YourCo should be responcible for paying employers NI and deducting and paying you NI contributions on your behalf. It should also be responcible for administering any Maternity Pay/Leave etc.

    Who is your accountant?
    Yup, that makes sense to me. My accountant is a family friend, and he's confused me recently by saying he's been looking into what help I can get 'from the government' while off work. I had been under the impression that would be zero, as my Ltd Co would be responsible for paying me maternity pay. So what the fluff is he on about. He keeps whittering on about me having been 'registered self employed', too.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

    Moscow Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Yup, that makes sense to me. My accountant is a family friend, and he's confused me recently by saying he's been looking into what help I can get 'from the government' while off work. I had been under the impression that would be zero, as my Ltd Co would be responsible for paying me maternity pay. So what the fluff is he on about. He keeps whittering on about me having been 'registered self employed', too.
    It sounds like he's confused about the definition of a sole-trader.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

  9. #9

    Nice But Dim

    DaveB is a fount of knowledge

    DaveB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    19,898

    Default

    It sounds like he has assumed you are working as a sole trader. ie "Mary Poppins trading as YourCo."

    If so you need to sort it out smartish as there could be some nasty tax implications lurking in there.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

  10. #10

    Godlike

    MaryPoppins is NOT a disguised employee

    MaryPoppins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    None of your business.
    Posts
    8,209

    Default

    Not sure on this Dave, as there are two Co Directors? Blimey I'm confused now. Also slightly confused (and annoyed with self for not noticing before) that he doesn't seem to have deducted N.I as well as PAYE etc when invoices go through.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •