• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cybersharps outplay poker websites

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cybersharps outplay poker websites

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5822078.ece

HE has the perfect poker face, remembers each card, calculates all the odds and can think 20 moves ahead.

Meet Doc Cyborg and his ilk, the internet robots helping online players to clean up on gaming websites.

“Poker bots”, as they are known, are earning their human masters up to £50,000 a year by playing dozens of low-stakes games at once on the internet. The UK is enjoying an online poker boom, with almost 1m Britons expected to take part this year. An increasing number of them will be using robots.

Software that promises to “make money cheating” can be bought for as little as £25.

Many of the poker sites, which take a fee for hosting the games, have rules banning the bots and have teams dedicated to detecting them. They admit, however, that they are virtually powerless to stop them. Players who have lost to them regard them as little more than card-sharps in cyberspace.

One bot master claims he can earn £40 an hour using them. “I use software that plays poker for me in six different rooms and I’m raking in the dough,” he said in a posting on Cardschat, an online forum for players.

“Do you think that’s evil or genius? The software does lose, but I’ve never seen any playing like it. Bottom line: not only does it work, but I’m entertained watching it.”

In 2007, researchers from Alberta University in Canada deployed a bot player against Phil Laak, 36, a Dublin-born professional who is the boyfriend of Jennifer Tilly, the Hollywood actress. Laak only just won.

Last year, the same scientists repeated the exercise using a bank of bots known as Polaris against several professional players and the robots won every time.

=============================

plan B anyone?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5822078.ece

HE has the perfect poker face, remembers each card, calculates all the odds and can think 20 moves ahead.

Meet Doc Cyborg and his ilk, the internet robots helping online players to clean up on gaming websites.

“Poker bots”, as they are known, are earning their human masters up to £50,000 a year by playing dozens of low-stakes games at once on the internet. The UK is enjoying an online poker boom, with almost 1m Britons expected to take part this year. An increasing number of them will be using robots.

Software that promises to “make money cheating” can be bought for as little as £25.

Many of the poker sites, which take a fee for hosting the games, have rules banning the bots and have teams dedicated to detecting them. They admit, however, that they are virtually powerless to stop them. Players who have lost to them regard them as little more than card-sharps in cyberspace.

One bot master claims he can earn £40 an hour using them. “I use software that plays poker for me in six different rooms and I’m raking in the dough,” he said in a posting on Cardschat, an online forum for players.

“Do you think that’s evil or genius? The software does lose, but I’ve never seen any playing like it. Bottom line: not only does it work, but I’m entertained watching it.”

In 2007, researchers from Alberta University in Canada deployed a bot player against Phil Laak, 36, a Dublin-born professional who is the boyfriend of Jennifer Tilly, the Hollywood actress. Laak only just won.

Last year, the same scientists repeated the exercise using a bank of bots known as Polaris against several professional players and the robots won every time.

=============================

plan B anyone?
    Yep. Play Poker face to face.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

An online comment under the article suggests it is nonsense : I wonder if it is true or not?

Comment

Isn't this just a Pyramid Selling Scheme....
        You can win £000s... just buy my Poker Bot and very soon you will be winning at Online Poker.... errrr presumably so will everyone who buys a Poker Bot....

PS The only reason for my posting is so I could say "Pok er Bot" fnaar fnaar

Comment

I've been playing online poker for a while now, and to be quite honest most players are so dumb you don't need a bot to win. Understand the odds, play a tight game, don't make stupid bets and make the most of it when you get a good hand, and you will win in the medium to long term.

This is basically what the bots do.

It's not a Plan B but I can usually count on winning a hundred quid a week playing for 2-3 hours 2 or 3 nights a week.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            I've been playing online poker for a while now, and to be quite honest most players are so dumb you don't need a bot to win. Understand the odds, play a tight game, don't make stupid bets and make the most of it when you get a good hand, and you will win in the medium to long term.

It's not a Plan B but I can usually count on winning a hundred quid a week playing for 2-3 hours 2 or 3 nights a week.
            not win or lose a fortune

usually quite!
            No offence intended DaveB but lots of gamblers convince themselves that they are "winners".....
            If you play 4-9 hours a week for £100 "win" then its a fun hobby.
            If you play 4-9 hours a week for circa £100 loss then its a hobby that you can probably afford

You are quite probably perfectly happy with the "fun" you get out of it for the "cost" but I don't recommend gambling (in any form) for a living.

Before I get shouted at - I know some people make a living at gambling... but most don't. It doesn't take Einstien to work out that for every winning hand there must be losers.....

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              Before I get shouted at - I know some people make a living at gambling... but most don't. It doesn't take Einstien to work out that for every winning hand there must be losers.....
              I know a chap who makes a fair bit by hedging on bet-fair. It's pretty unfair if you ask me
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post

You are quite probably perfectly happy with the "fun" you get out of it for the "cost" but I don't recommend gambling (in any form) for a living.
                Neither do I and thats not what I'm aiming for. I play becasue I enjoy the game, the fact that I can make a bit on the side from it is just a bonus.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

The point of bots is that you can get multiple bots winning small amounts all at the same time (and even when you are in bed). They do take some managing and setting up, but after that...

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                    The point of bots is that you can get multiple bots winning small amounts all at the same time (and even when you are in bed). They do take some managing and setting up, but after that...
                    That really is the key point, you don't want to be pitting your bot against potentially good players in a high-stakes game.

Eventually, it will be a case of who has the better bot!
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X