• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you do....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
    I work in an all contractor team and I'm always the one giving advice. I am convinced this has kept me in my contract as the client sees this and has let a few people go lately.

One of the contractors at clientco will ask me for advice and then go to speak to the boss explaining his "new idea" with-in ear shot of me. That can make me a little annoyed to say the least.
    If I wanted to **** you over, I'd pump your ego to make you offer "well meaning" advice. One which I know would cause terrible problems for someone. It would be planned so that you would be acting without authority whilst someone was on holiday or something.
    Not only that, when it went wrong, I'd make sure you got the blame for acting as a maverick. I'd also ensure that I made you aware that "so and so" is blaming you unfairly - so that you fight him.
    You would be easy meat to get rid of.........

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor Bigun View Post
      Interesting. If you had your chances again - would you still "help out"?
      Will you still repeat the same actions at your new contract?
      Depends, if its in the interests for the 'team' to perform then yes, as my future hangs on that.
      The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
        Depends, if its in the interests for the 'team' to perform then yes, as my future hangs on that.
        Hmmmm. Are you sure its not a fear of being accused of "not being a team worker" and your desire to be liked and popular?
        This "team" thing is for permies.

"If I fetch that stick for them they'll throw it again - and I like fetching sticks - it shows what a good doggy I am - and I'll be liked for that."

Meanwhile your manager thinks.
        "If I told him what was important, he'd know as much as me - and then I'd have to get rid of him - at least he seems to be making my life easier"

Meanwhile, your co-workers think.
        " That doggy is quite smart - he's getting all the attention and I've got to be careful that it doesn't go all his way. If I see him out of line, I'll get him snitched"

Lets skip to a few months down the line.......
        you find that the group dynamic crystalises against you more than you expect. You, the "good egg" is hardly asked for advice any more.
        Why? because everyone realises that this makes you look good (and that has to be limited).

You are now in the worst position of all. You're still nowhere near what you most prize. To be the first call for anything technical and be respected. No one wants to give you any respect because they are secretly annoyed by you.

In fact it becomes the unwritten office joke NOT to ask you. Why?
        Because you are now percieved as a KNOW-IT-ALL who needs to be wound up a peg or 2. "If I can't beat you with expertise, I'll upset you"

Why do they think they can get away with it?
        Because you're always trying to be a "nice guy team worker" and they feel they can get away with it - all that happens is you get "upset"

Have a good think about why you do it.

When you look back at the best managers you've had, did anyone of them try to be a "mentor"?
        Nope, they never do - you want to know why?
        They get the subordinate to want to do well.

Comment

Spot on.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
          X