• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barsteward Airline Rip offs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barsteward Airline Rip offs

Thought I'd share this in case it helps someone else.

Upcoming holiday with Mrs PL involves 3 internal flights with an international airline.

Price on Expedia $1300 for both of us
    Price on UK and USA website $1250 (due to a promo)
    Price on local country website $600 (ie main site but with local country selected)
    Price if you phone local number $400!!!

That's a heck of a discount for speaking spanish! Airline is Lan if anyone's interested.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Upcoming holiday with Mrs PL involves 3 internal flights with an international airline.

Price on local country website $600 (ie main site but with local country selected)

That's a heck of a discount for speaking spanish! Airline is Lan if anyone's interested.
    ¡Eso entonces es bloody afortunado!

Comment

Just be really sure that it's not a discount for being Chilean!

Comment

IMHO t'internet isn't very good pricewise for booking flights, hotels or holidays. I've gone back to using a travel agent after an initial web search.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          Just be really sure that it's not a discount for being Chilean!
          Peruvian (in this case)

Nope, booked with UK passports over the phone.

Comment

Peruvian (in this case)

Nope, booked with UK passports over the phone.
            Sorry, made an assumption based on airline.

I do know that Peru encourages lower prices for locals, officially I mean, as well as unofficially of course. Or at least it did 20-odd years ago. I knew a blonde-haired Anglo-Peruvian woman who had fun all the time: ¡si, soy Peruana! and always had to show her ID. Not that they were prejudiced against gringos.

Comment

LAN are big on this, as I have found out on several trips round S America. Some you can't get out of (such as going to the Galapagos) but on the whole it pays to books local. FOr me the biggest difference was in Argentina, when a trip down south was only 50USD when booked internally vs several hundred when booked externally.

Where are you off to in Peru then?
              "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
              "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                LAN are big on this, as I have found out on several trips round S America. Some you can't get out of (such as going to the Galapagos) but on the whole it pays to books local. FOr me the biggest difference was in Argentina, when a trip down south was only 50USD when booked internally vs several hundred when booked externally.

Where are you off to in Peru then?
                Arequipa and Puno plus a bit of time knocking about Lima.

Comment

Arequipa and Puno plus a bit of time knocking about Lima.
                  Arequipa is nice in a backpackery hanging around type of way. Do the canyon ( Colca ? ) thing as we CBA and regretted it.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                    Arequipa is nice in a backpackery hanging around type of way. Do the canyon ( Colca ? ) thing as we CBA and regretted it.
                    Aye, the Mrs has sussed the tours already. It's an overnight trip but well worth it apparently.

We did the Cuzco/Machu Pichu thing a few years back and had a cracking time.

Comment

Working...
                    X