• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The next big skill - Open Source?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next big skill - Open Source?

Anyone seen this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7910110.stm

Wonder if that means those of us who have had experience working with Open Source projects in the real world can see boom times coming regards government gigs?
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

We should get Tom Watson MP to download Struts2/tomcat6 source and chase a 'bit of functionality'/bug for feckin 8 hours like I did last week.

Comment

Many places use open source software simply to bypass ridiculous procurement processes. You want a database or a source code repository? Wait six months or use MySQL and Subversion. So sometimes you have to bodge along with tulipe free software even though the commercial alternative can pay its way.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
        Many places use open source software simply to bypass ridiculous procurement processes. You want a database or a source code repository? Wait six months or use MySQL and Subversion. So sometimes you have to bodge along with tulipe free software even though the commercial alternative can pay its way.
        Does anyone on here know anything about open source?

Commercial open source?

There's plenty of tulipware of course but if you know what you're doing there are not any more problems than with closed source products. And you have access to the development community so can get stuff sorted quickly if you have RTFM and it is genuinely a bug.

MySQL was bought out wasn't it? By Oracle? Can't be half bad can it?

Other open source items of note

Java
        Open office
        Linux
        Apache
        Tomcat

What did the Romans ever do for us eh?

Rant over, for now ........
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Open source now is a 'light' decision, most of the major players have been buying up open source projects for the last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Tomcat

What did the Romans ever do for us eh?
            Tomcat

It is one serious pile of mince.

Everyone uses tomcat, and nobody believes the tiny minority of us who hate it. Tomcat sucks, plain and simple. For such an important piece of infrastructure, you’d like to think that smart people who know a thing or two about good java code were involved. So, in an attempt to prove my point, I will discuss a single class in Tomcat, and we can all have a look at how brilliant the code is. I specifically picked a class that was written by ‘important’ people, just to ensure you idiots know not to trust these monkeys ever, ever again. This is just ONE class, there are many many worse ones.

The class we’ll look at is Tomcat’s DefaultServlet, written by Remy Maucherat (jboss monkey now, I believe) and Craig youknowwho.

Where does one start, really? Any intern at my company who writes code like this would earn a serious ‘talking to’. It’s in fact probably wiser to just take them out back and shoot them, doing both them and the world a favour. Alas, opensores has no such safeguards, and both of these ******* are alive and well, still defecating out huge reams of code in the community’s general direction.

So let’s get started. The first issue is the fact that everywhere, Throwable is caught. Yes, even Error type exceptions are caught. Things that god and Sun never intended for applications to even try to handle, tomcat will (silently) catch and ignore. After all, when you run out of memory, best thing to do is keep going right?

We also have methods that happily check for exception message strings (search for broken pipe), so I’d advice you to never use that string in any of your own exceptions. The comment around that bit of code is also particular amusing. The exception is caught, next comment says //ignore it, and the next line? You guessed it, throw the exception!

If you’ve ever wondered what the urge to chew off your own face feels like, then look no further than the parseRange and copyRanges methods. It’s like the authors fell off the antipattern tree and hit every branch on the way down, while somehow also managing to do things to exceptions that’d make your mother blush. We have returning concrete collection types when an interface will do, a million random exit points halfway through the method, using exceptions for logic flow rather than…well…exceptions. Hell, copyRanges even RETURNS an exception (which is ignored, sometimes). Come on Craig, you work at Sun, just go down the hall and for ****’s sake, ask someone to explain exceptions to you. You’re bound to find SOMEONE who understands the very basics.

At no point in the code is any stream closed in a finally clause, needless to say.

The pain goes on and on, and never really ends with this class. We have an impressive ignorance of how basic numeric handling in java works, as evidenced by // To avoid 0.0 for non-zero file, we bump to 0.1. We also have renderSize and displaySize, both of which do equally ****ed up tulip.

Ok, so maybe these kids don’t know the basics of elegant java code, that’s fine, many people don’t. At least they know idiomatic usage of java, right? They understand things like naming methods, idempotent methods, and so on. Haha, right. Calling validate on a range can have an interesting side effect of modifying the end of that range. Cool huh? You could avoid that ludicrous I’m-too-*******-stupid-to-know-how-to-keep-it-valid-so-I’ll-guard-against-it approach by just having a length() method, that is calculated based on start and end. Anything that reduces the amount of work you people need to exert can only be a good thing, given your intellectual capacity.

This code is so abysmally bad in fact that I know of at least one person (this is NOT a joke) who uses it in interviews, asks people to identify all the things wrong with it. These are potential employees who I’m sure would be paid a lot less than Craig or Remy, but had they the same coding ability, wouldn’t be allowed in. The whole thing would make a fine contribution to dailyWTF, I’m sure.

Of course, I’m sure the tomcat fanboys would quickly whip out their collective penis and wave it about angrily. After all, it’s still popular, right? Who cares if the code is ugly, it does its job! Who cares if it’s riddled with inefficiencies, is confusing to read, can’t be maintained or picked up easily, or a million of those criteria that real developers actually care about, even though nobody else does? You’re right, nobody cares. Tomcat is a great example of how good code is, as I’ve always insisted, irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              I wouldn't call Subversion tulipe these days, or MySQL come to that.

Mind you, almost every client site I've worked at for the last several years has used a grotty little bug tracking package called BugZilla, and they've all been "planning to move to something better".
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Tomcat

It is one serious pile of mince.
                That doesn't sound good. Used Tomcat all over and had no problems with it. Its just a servlet container after all, with add ons that enable it to clutch at being a proper J2EE stack, but I never treat it as such.

This code sounds shocking. I take your point.

Althooooooooooough, you've never seen some of the tulip code in various closed source operating systems and products as its closed source. One side affect of being open source is that you get to see the soft underbelly and post comments about it warts and all. That really does go with the territory.

How many times have you been on a project thats running late and the PM says things like "as long as it works" and "we need to hit this deadline at all costs". This is where ugly code comes from, not necessarily lack of ability or knowledge of coding standards.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  I wouldn't call Subversion tulipe these days, or MySQL come to that.

Mind you, almost every client site I've worked at for the last several years has used a grotty little bug tracking package called BugZilla, and they've all been "planning to move to something better".
                  Bugzilla blows. Can name a few closed source ones that do as well.

Comment

I've had clients come to me for gigs because they've seen my work on various open source projects and have been suitably impressed.

Which is nice.

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X