• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Miners Strike - 25 yrs on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
    The clue is in the 'story', pillock !!
    Oh sorry - When you asked for "Any memories, stories, opinions ?"

I assumed you meant something based on reality.....

I was a miner 25yrs ago and while lots of my mates were queing up to shag a prozzie for free - I was visiting thier wives "sorting them out" but because my kn*b was so big they asked me to go and shaft the prozzie which would put her off sh*gging and the men would go back to thier wives and they would all live happily ever after...... apparently

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      Re Cybertwat: He reminds me of the character in The Simpsons who says "Ha Ha"

A real spiteful little **** isn't he?
      CyberNELSON

Comment

My fondest memory is going on a free coach trip to a student protest in Londinium and sitting on Westminster Bridge drinking cans while it kicked off.

I also had a miner mate who got locked up in Strangeways for fighting at Orgreave. He was sacked but got his job back post strike when the dust had settled.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          My fondest memory is going on a free coach trip to a student protest in Londinium and sitting on Westminster Bridge drinking cans while it kicked off.

I also had a miner mate who got locked up in Strangeways for fighting at Orgreave. He was sacked but got his job back post strike when the dust had settled.

In those days miners thought they were above the law. Unions could always get criminals reinstated because they had the power to hold the country to ransom. The breaking of the unions was a major success by Thatcher and led to one of the UK's most prosperous periods in history. Unfortunately, Brown has squandered her legacy and brought us to the brink of ruin yet again by a Labour HMG.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
            Oh sorry - When you asked for "Any memories, stories, opinions ?"

I assumed you meant something based on reality.....

I was a miner 25yrs ago and while lots of my mates were queing up to shag a prozzie for free - I was visiting thier wives "sorting them out" but because my kn*b was so big they asked me to go and shaft the prozzie which would put her off sh*gging and the men would go back to thier wives and they would all live happily ever after...... apparently

It was a memory of a story that made the papers in those days. pillock.

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
              This wiki article is really good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_mine...ike_(1984-1985)

This was in the Guardian a few weeks back. Made a really interesting read:
              http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...oto-don-mcphee
              Ta for the links. One of my memories of the time was a NUM shop steward on the train to London explaining what it had meant to his community. He presented his case very well. On the other side of the coin were the couple I knew in the police force who bought a villa in Spain out of the overtime they made on strike duty. Neither story hit the press at the time.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

In those days miners thought they were above the law. Unions could always get criminals reinstated because they had the power to hold the country to ransom. The breaking of the unions was a major success by Thatcher and led to one of the UK's most prosperous periods in history. Unfortunately, Brown has squandered her legacy and brought us to the brink of ruin yet again by a Labour HMG.
                I watched "Our Friends in the North" recently (several years after it was first aired). One episode was set during the Miners' Strike. The story told there was of a government determined to provoke the miners into extreme action, then responding by sending in the Met to beat the tulip out of them.

It was quite shocking to see the other side of the story.

Of course there were some extremists and agitators among the miners, but I expect the majority were decent folks.

Comment

..................pillock.
                  I have to admit you are a truly awsome linguist... sharp, witty, original!

One could almost say cunning!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    I watched "Our Friends in the North" recently (several years after it was first aired). One episode was set during the Miners' Strike. The story told there was of a government determined to provoke the miners into extreme action, then responding by sending in the Met to beat the tulip out of them.

It was quite shocking to see the other side of the story.

Of course there were some extremists and agitators among the miners, but I expect the majority were decent folks.

The majority were decent, as they are in all walks of life. As I said in an earlier post, the majority of miners were intimidated by the violent minority into striking on the back of a show of hands. Thatcher later rectified this with the 'secret ballot' legislation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                      Re Cybertwat: He reminds me of the character in The Simpsons who says "Ha Ha"

A real spiteful little **** isn't he?
                      I can feel another Poll coming on....
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X