• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Miners Strike - 25 yrs on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Re Cybertwat: He reminds me of the character in The Simpsons who says "Ha Ha"

A real spiteful little **** isn't he?

Spiteful, because I don't see violent striking miners who were trying to bankrupt UK PLC as heroes ?

Comment

In my neck of the woods in Lancashire the mining industry had virtually closed down anyway by the time of the strike so it wasn't such a big deal as it was in Yorkshire. My grandad who had not long retired from the pits took the attitude that the strike was a waste of time and Scargill was an idiot playing into Maggie's hands. The pits were going to close anyway. He thought mining was a tulip job and we were better off with the pits shut.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
        In those days miners thought they were above the law. Unions could always get criminals reinstated because they had the power to hold the country to ransom. The breaking of the unions was a major success by Thatcher and led to one of the UK's most prosperous periods in history. Unfortunately, Brown has squandered her legacy and brought us to the brink of ruin yet again by a Labour HMG.

Laid the foundations for the absolute pile of tulip we now find ourselves in.

I was at school during Thatcher’s era, she encouraged people to study engineering and science subjects which you would think quite admirable if she hadn’t subsequently left our industry to rot.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
          Of course there were some extremists and agitators among the miners
          MI5
          Originally posted by cailin maith
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post

Laid the foundations for the absolute pile of tulip we now find ourselves in.

I was at school during Thatcher’s era, she encouraged people to study engineering and science subjects which you would think quite admirable if she hadn’t subsequently left our industry to rot.

Labour have encouraged all sorts of worthless studies and university education for the sake of university education. I don't see how that is preferable to studying science, maths etc, except for the fact that it aids HMG stats by making achievement of pass grades far easier, and to keep down unemployment.

Comment

Whole communities wrecked, division between strikers and strike breakers. Shipping of rozzers from London for sensitive community policing. Thatcher was determined to break union power (and a good thing too, in my opinion - it needed doing), but I find her methods rather difficult to stomach. She didn't need to break quite so many eggs for her omelette. IIRC, she came fairly close to losing the battle with the miners and having to send in troups.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Whole communities wrecked, division between strikers and strike breakers. Shipping of rozzers from London for sensitive community policing. Thatcher was determined to break union power (and a good thing too, in my opinion - it needed doing), but I find her methods rather difficult to stomach. She didn't need to break quite so many eggs for her omelette. IIRC, she came fairly close to losing the battle with the miners and having to send in troups.

However she had done it, she would still be villified as the wicked witch. She could not win either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                  Labour have encouraged all sorts of worthless studies and university education for the sake of university education. I don't see how that is preferable to studying science, maths etc, except for the fact that it aids HMG stats by making achievement of pass grades far easier, and to keep down unemployment.
                  Yes I totally agree.

Labour should have used their time in power rebuilding industry instead of perpetuating Thatcher's financial farce.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    IIRC, she came fairly close to losing the battle with the miners and having to send in troups.
                    I don't think so. The problem was the strike didn't have universal backing from the miners themselves so you couldn't expect the public to be fully behind it in a way that would rock the government. There wasn't even a proper vote on the strike if my memory hasn't deserted me.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      Yes I totally agree.

Labour should have used their time in power rebuilding industry instead of perpetuating Thatcher's financial farce.

... but you cannot rebuild an industry that is constantly under threat of strikes. To rebuild you have to adopt competitive practices and unions do not allow this. This is why manufacturing etc has failed in the UK and will continue to fail.

Comment

Working...
                      X