No surprise then... No surprise then...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1

    Pilchard

    Cliphead has more data than eek

    Cliphead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    55°51'N, 04°12'W
    Posts
    9,653

    Default No surprise then...

    Texting peer released from prison.

    The Court of Appeal has released a Labour peer who was jailed for 12 weeks for sending and receiving text messages while driving minutes before he was involved in a fatal motorway crash.

    Lord Ahmed, 51, was charged with dangerous driving after using his mobile phone shortly before hitting a stationary car in the fast lane of the M1, killing Martyn Gombar, 28, from Leigh, Greater Manchester.

    Ahmed pleaded guilty to the charge and was handed a 12-week jail term by sentencing judge Mr Justice Wilkie last month.

    Linky

  2. #2

    Super poster

    Lockhouse is NOT a disguised employee

    Lockhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The 1950's
    Posts
    4,491

    Default

    I'm not surprised but I am appalled.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

  3. #3

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    30,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliphead View Post
    Texting peer released from prison.
    O Gr8

    LOL
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

  4. #4

    Banned

    TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    Let's see:-

    Labour Party
    Seat in the House of Lords
    Muslim "community leader"
    Kills some ordinary, unimportant white non muslim person as a result of careless driving

    It appears to be a completely fair and proportionate punishment.

  5. #5

    Godlike

    expat has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brutopia
    Posts
    8,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Let's see:-

    Labour Party
    Seat in the House of Lords
    Muslim "community leader"
    Kills some ordinary, unimportant white non muslim person as a result of careless driving

    It appears to be a completely fair and proportionate punishment.
    WRONG! Read the news reports. The 2 items are completely unconnected:

    1. he texted while driving, and for that was done for dangerous driving.

    2. some time later, the car he was driving crashed into a car that was stationary in the fast lane after its driver (who had been drinking) crashed into the central reservation.

    The only connection is that it was the second incident, for which he was not to blame, that led to the normal automatic research into his mobile phone record, which uncovered the first incident.

    So get your facts right before opening the mouth, and lay off the racist falsified claptrap please.

  6. #6

    Banned

    TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    WRONG! Read the news reports. The 2 items are completely unconnected:

    1. he texted while driving, and for that was done for dangerous driving.

    2. some time later, the car he was driving crashed into a car that was stationary in the fast lane after its driver (who had been drinking) crashed into the central reservation.

    The only connection is that it was the second incident, for which he was not to blame, that led to the normal automatic research into his mobile phone record, which uncovered the first incident.

    So get your facts right before opening the mouth, and lay off the racist falsified claptrap please.
    I have read the reports.

    1. If he had been texting while driving there's no proof that he wasn't reading/browsing his texts at the time of the "accident", any kind of texting activity is clearly not paying due care and attention while driving.
    2. If he had been paying attention he would not had crashed into the stationary vehicle and caused the other persons death. The fact that the other person had been drinking is irrelevant to the Labour Peers inability to see and avoid the other car.
    3. Causing death in avoidable circumstances (by paying proper attention to the road for instance) should carry a sensible and proportionate penalty and typically does. In this case the offender is a Labour Muslim Peer who according to the BBC local reporting yesterday was released early because his imprisonment was affecting his "community work" and amazingly his penalty was remarkably low in the first place.
    4. Yes I am cynical about his treatment as a result of him being a Labour Politician with a peerage and the muslim card to play.

    As someone who lives in West Yorkshire seeing the muslim population being treated differently by the Police and law is a daily occurence, it's not in any way surprising to me that a Muslim Peer has received preferential treatment.

    Incidentally I made no mention of the ethnicity of the Labour Muslim Peer who killed someone else because of his careless driving, shove your racist claims in your orifice of personal preference.
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 13th March 2009 at 10:20.

  7. #7

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeMerc View Post
    I have read the reports.

    1. If he had been texting while driving there's no proof that he wasn't reading/browsing his texts at the time of the "accident", any kind of texting activity is clearly not paying due care and attention while driving.
    .
    Surely the presumption must be one of innocence i.e. there was no evidence he was doing anything with his phone at the time of the accident.
    The pardon seems to a be a little too much; however I have very little sympathy with the drunk guy who crashed his car on the central reservation.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  8. #8

    More time posting than coding

    denver2k has no reputation


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeMerc View Post
    As someone who lives in West Yorkshire seeing the muslim population being treated differently by the Police and law is a daily occurence.
    Ohh i feel sorry for you then.

    Your comments would be completely different if you were in the world of Boris Johnson, the true multiculturism where everyone live together with eternal love and harmony......

  9. #9

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    36,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denver2k View Post
    Ohh i feel sorry for you then.

    Your comments would be completely different if you were in the world of Boris Johnson, the true multiculturism where everyone live together with eternal love and harmony......
    You say that for a joke but I think London is far more integrated than some areas of the north which seem to be ghettoised. This is not because people are somehow "better" but because the over-crowding in London means people have to live cheek-by-jowl and interact whether they like it or not. The ever-changing nature of London means ghettoes don't last long.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  10. #10

    Godlike

    expat has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brutopia
    Posts
    8,320

    Default

    The Dangerous Driving charge was for texting while driving. It was not connected to the accident, which was not found to be connected, and for which he was not found to blame.

    Of course there is no proof that he wasn't reading his texts at the time of the accident. Where does that stand in an English court? "There is no proof that you weren't........"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •