• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you are going to escape the collapse of the UK, I'd hurry up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are going to escape the collapse of the UK, I'd hurry up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7945401.stm

Australia has said it will cut the number of skilled foreign workers it accepts by 14% to safeguard local jobs.

Immigration Minister Chris Evans announced the cut, the first by the country in 10 years.

Mr Evans said the government did not want to admit people who would compete with Australians for limited jobs amid the global financial crisis.

Unemployment is rising in Australia, after years of economic growth fuelled largely by mining exports.

"We're going to cut (the programme) from 133,500 to 115,000, so that's about a 14% cut," Mr Evans told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

The number of foreign skilled migrants will be cut by 18,500 for the 2009/10 financial year, which starts in June, from a total number of 133,500 in 2008/09.

Professions such as nurses, doctors, engineers and information technology will be safe, as Australia still has shortages in these areas.

Last call for Australia, gates closing.

Who on earth would chose Australia over England?

If the locals don't get you, the wildlife will
    'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Immigration Minister Chris Evans
      I wondered what had happened to that ginger g*t.

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
        Who on earth would chose Australia over England?

If the locals don't get you, the wildlife will
        Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Ive been thinking about emigrating for a few months now, I like the look of NZ but have been told there are very few IT jobs (generic Proj Support PRINCE2 & ITIL)

I dont like the way Fortress USSUK is going though

Comment

I lived in Sydney for a year, there are good points and bad points to the place but I think it is a better place to live. When I returned I was in the emigration process then met the gf and she was not up for moving so I stayed. It's pissing down outside, I have hardly seen the sun for 6 months, in Sydney my desk overlooked the Harbour Bridge and Opera House.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerpig View Post
              Ive been thinking about emigrating for a few months now, I like the look of NZ but have been told there are very few IT jobs (generic Proj Support PRINCE2 & ITIL)

I dont like the way Fortress USSUK is going though
              I always thought of NZ as more somewhere you'd like to retire to than work in... of course that's a bit tricky as far as getting into the country goes.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I always thought of NZ as more somewhere you'd like to retire to than work in... of course that's a bit tricky as far as getting into the country goes.
                IIRC if you're rich enough, they will take you in...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Why would you want to go to Australia?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I lived in Sydney for a year, there are good points and bad points to the place but I think it is a better place to live. When I returned I was in the emigration process then met the gf and she was not up for moving so I stayed. It's pissing down outside, I have hardly seen the sun for 6 months, in Sydney my desk overlooked the Harbour Bridge and Opera House.

Haven't lived in Oz but have in several other places, now back in UK with gf. Once you have seen what is available, it's hard.....

PS Minestrone and I are obviously both romantics, since we are each putting the woman we love before all else.

Comment

Working...
                    X