Acoustic Guitars Acoustic Guitars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 13

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

Default Acoustic Guitars

I bought a no name acoustic guitar at the weekend for £500 and was impressed with the sound. In fact I wanted a Martin for about 1200-1500 quid, but there wasn't much difference in the sound.

The guitar I bought is solid Palisander and sounded better than a mahogany Martin. There was a more expensive Martin with Palisander that had a similar quality but wasn't the "Dreadnought" model I was looking for and wasn't deep enough in its sound for what I was looking for. So I stuck with the cheap model.

However I'm wondering whether there is a model out there that would be worth buying.

What about the Martin D28? They didn't have one available.

Any thoughts welcome?
    I'm alright Jack

More fingers than teeth

TimberWolf is too good to be a permie

£500 sounds pricey. Couldn't you buy the strings and fix them to something with nice resonant qualities and save £499?

BardLike

AlfredJPruffock has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    I bought a no name acoustic guitar at the weekend for £500 and was impressed with the sound. In fact I wanted a Martin for about 1200-1500 quid, but there wasn't much difference in the sound.

The guitar I bought is solid Palisander and sounded better than a mahogany Martin. There was a more expensive Martin with Palisander that had a similar quality but wasn't the "Dreadnought" model I was looking for and wasn't deep enough in its sound for what I was looking for. So I stuck with the cheap model.

However I'm wondering whether there is a model out there that would be worth buying.

What about the Martin D28? They didn't have one available.

Any thoughts welcome?
    Never let your judgement by influenced by manufacturer - reputation etc the only thing that matters is if you dig the sound of the guitar.

For example the best guitar I ever had was a second hand Eko Rio Grande - it cose me a tenner back in 1980 and had a few offers for it - so if the guitar cant swing - it aint worth a thing - and I dont care what label is on it - remember each guitar is unique.

Hope that helps.

Grand Chief Guinea Pig

Pogle 's job has never been outsourced

I bought Mr P a Takamine EF341SC guitar this weekend and even I noticed how better the sound was than his usual (non electric) one.
    I know nothing about guitars and cant play one, but Mr P is like a thingy with two wotsits now and I am upto my eyebrows in brownie points
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Fingers like lightning

thelace has no reputation

I like high end accoustics too...

I've always been a fan of Taylors, I like the fact that they've a good high end and that you can pick one off the shelf and play it, coz they all play excellently.

However, I do like to dig around and find some nice bits and bobs too. I have a lovely old Gibson J50 from the 50's that just booms...
    'elf and safety guru

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

I'll stick to my Stradavarius.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

I just have a Yamaha APX500 (cost about £200) electro-acoustic (i.e steel-string acoustic with integrated pickup) and been very happy with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Contractor Among Contractors

Shimano105 has no reputation

I was thinking about this earlier, funnily enough.

I have a Korean Martin (Sigma) which sounds great - really deep bass sound from the Rosewood back (rather than the more mid-heavy mahogany).

But it's a bitch to play even after fret dressing etc. Let me know what you decide on! Never played a Yamaha I liked though, always seemed a bit tinny although they were probably budget models to be fair.

More fingers than teeth

minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Never let your judgement by influenced by manufacturer - reputation etc the only thing that matters is if you dig the sound of the guitar.

For example the best guitar I ever had was a second hand Eko Rio Grande - it cose me a tenner back in 1980 and had a few offers for it - so if the guitar cant swing - it aint worth a thing - and I dont care what label is on it - remember each guitar is unique.

Hope that helps.
    That is very true, I am a drummer and the best kit I ever had was a Premier Royale which cost 120 quid in 1984. Been buying Pearl since but should never have got rid of that Premier kit. Spent 800 on a KORG stage piano recently and I really hate it now.

More fingers than teeth

BlasterBates - scorchio!

really great feedback.

Seems that some of these good names are a bit of a rip off, i.e. worth looking around.

Having tried a lot of guitars, what I found was that many cheaper guitars weren't really in tune, and then at about £500 they were, and then what seems to matter is the type of wood, i.e. solid vs laminated mahogany or palisander etc.
    I'm alright Jack