Estate agents : renting fees Estate agents : renting fees
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 17

My post count is Majestic

d000hg - scorchio!

Default Estate agents : renting fees

We're about to sign on a to-let property. Fairly typically, we'd have to pay the first month's rent and a bond of similar amount on moving in.
    The agent also has two fees... we have to pay an 'application fee' of £125 (non-refundable) to say we actually want the property, and an extra fee of £165 when we move in.

Is this normal? The last time I rented (5 years back) I don't remember any fees - I thought the landlord paid the fees. That last rented property was actually with the same agent as were deaing with now... have things changed in the last few years, is this normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

What a muppet!

Gonzo is a permanent contractor

The last time we moved to a new rental in the UK the agent took an application fee (about £150 to cover the contracts and credit checks supposedly).

In the last two years they also charged a £50 fee for each renewal.

I did notice at the same time that they started using contracts drawn up by a solicitor rather than just a bog-standard pro-forma that they had used previously. Maybe there were some new laws that they need to protect themselves from?

It is a bit much, but I suspect you will find that most, if not all, do the same. I don't think you will escape the fees by taking your business elsewhere.

Double Godlike!

Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

Is the extra fee for an inventory?

They like to charge extra for that, and to be fair it does protect you if it's an accurate one.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Banned

Churchill has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    We're about to sign on a to-let property. Fairly typically, we'd have to pay the first month's rent and a bond of similar amount on moving in.
    The agent also has two fees... we have to pay an 'application fee' of £125 (non-refundable) to say we actually want the property, and an extra fee of £165 when we move in.

Is this normal? The last time I rented (5 years back) I don't remember any fees - I thought the landlord paid the fees. That last rented property was actually with the same agent as were deaing with now... have things changed in the last few years, is this normal?
    Go direct, hasn't this site taught you anything? All agents(of every type) are bastards!

Richer than sasguru

DimPrawn is always on top

Setup your own letting agency and bypass the fees.

SARS-CoV-2 - Finally something from China that still works as designed.

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Why let when you can buy! prices are at the bottom and are bound to double over the next year.

Fight HMRC now! Help sue HMRC individual officers/government ministers for malfeasance in office. Visit https://www.loanchargejustice.com/ and scroll to the bottom of the page to donate.

Froglike

Pondlife - scorchio!

Think yourself lucky. Some agents in Germany make you fill in a questionaire including questions like "Why are you looking for accomodation?" and "How will you be funding it, please provide evidence?" before you even get the address.

They then charge a commission based on the length of the tenancy!!! e.g 15% of monthly rent per month of tenancy. Barstands!

Fingers like lightning

Svalbaard has no reputation

Granted it was a long time ago but I don't ever remember having to pay any fees to rent accommodation. It used to be that you went in to the agency, filled out the forms, and if you passed the credit reference check you paid the first month upfront, plus a months rent as a deposit - and that was it.

Seems these agents have come up with new ways to extract money for old rope.
    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Fingers like lightning

sunnysan has no reputation

Default Laandaan

Fees from an agency could amount to circa £300. Just the way it is.

IME the smaller agents tend to be more reasonable + you get better service if something goes wrong but I suppose it depends on agent.

Try to avoid F$%kstons, W£nkworth etc as their fees are high and any issues you have take ages to sort out.
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Double Godlike!

Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysan View Post

Try to avoid F$%kstons, W£nkworth etc as their fees are high and any issues you have take ages to sort out.
    I would rather cut my nuts off with a spoon than rent through Foxtons.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."