• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tuition fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuition fees

Oh dear...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006...on.tuitionfees

Tuition fees likely to hit £5k, and possibly as high as £7k. I guess the debts that kids are leaving college with are not deemed to be high enough.

Scotland anyone?
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Considering that a lot of freshly qualified grads are not going to find any decent jobs, and that those who do (because they did a hard science perhaps) are still going to fight for the 15-20K entry positions in their chosen field, I can see a large amount of students pondering "what's the point ?"

If the amount of jobs increased, and the salaries to boot, then perhaps it may be worth it.

This is not going to leave students better off. Quite the reverse in fact.

It is an effective policy in demotivating our future generations from bothering to get a good education, when the risks increase and yet the carrot at the end of it stays the same size.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
      Considering that a lot of freshly qualified grads are not going to find any decent jobs, and that those who do (because they did a hard science perhaps) are still going to fight for the 15-20K entry positions in their chosen field, I can see a large amount of students pondering "what's the point ?"

If the amount of jobs increased, and the salaries to boot, then perhaps it may be worth it.

This is not going to leave students better off. Quite the reverse in fact.

It is an effective policy in demotivating our future generations from bothering to get a good education, when the risks increase and yet the carrot at the end of it stays the same size.
      Keep the populus stupid. Its the way forward.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
        Keep the populus stupid. Its the way forward.
        populace.

Quite.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          Oh dear...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2006...on.tuitionfees

Tuition fees likely to hit £5k, and possibly as high as £7k. I guess the debts that kids are leaving college with are not deemed to be high enough.

Scotland anyone?
          The problem with our education system isn't just the cost of studying and the amounts of debts the students will incur, it's the numpty qualifications that are considered which will lead to getting the students jobs in McDonalds (and similar organisations).
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

There really is no point in doing "soft" degrees any more.

I'd even go so far as to say there's no point in doing a "non-vocational" (by vocational I mean, Nursing, Teaching, Medicine, Architecture etc) degree unless you know what you want to do with it.

The trouble is, at the age you decide what you want to do at university most kids haven't given a second thought to what they want to do with their lives.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
              The problem with our education system isn't just the cost of studying and the amounts of debts the students will incur, it's the numpty qualifications that are considered which will lead to getting the students jobs in McDonalds (and similar organisations).

HEY.....Leave the golden teats alone!
              Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                populace.

Quite.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                X