• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tributes to 'courageous' Goody

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tributes to 'courageous' Goody

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7958716.stm

Prime Minister Gordon Brown led tributes to the star praising her as "a courageous woman".

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7958716.stm

Prime Minister Gordon Brown led tributes to the star praising her as "a courageous woman".

Any fool can praise anyone with a few empty words. What is more difficult to do is to eulogise someone with only the true, only the particular, and no maudlin generalisations.

Stephen Fry achieved that elegantly, IMHO:

Fry called Goody "a kind of Princess D from the wrong side of the tracks".
    He said: "Poor, dear Jade... I warmed to her immensely. All impulsive spirit and smiles. What a life.
    "Jade lived life under a magnifying glass. Magnifying glasses magnify (obviously) but they distort and they burn."
    Now let it rest.

Comment

That was really rather good.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Oh good grief.

Yep, a shame etc. Shame anyone has to die aged 27. Great that she raised awareness for a cancer charity before dying. Shame for the kids on Mothers' Day of all days. But that's that. End of.

I hate the sensationalist tabloid culture, I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
          What is more difficult to do is to eulogise someone with only the true, only the particular, and no maudlin generalisations.

Stephen Fry achieved that elegantly, IMHO:
          I agree. Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
            I hate the sensationalist tabloid Prime Minister, I really do.
            Gas masks don't fit snails...

Comment

Next he'll be telling us which popular bands he doesn't have in his record collection, or was that the Tories?

I wonder if Winston Churchill used to comment on the tittle tattle of the day

Comment

Originally posted by Foxy Moron View Post
                Next he'll be telling us which popular bands he doesn't have in his record collection, or was that the Tories?

I wonder if Winston Churchill used to comment on the tittle tattle of the day
                ... comparing brown to churchill ... <wipes tears from eyes again>
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

"That George Formby he can write a ditty, although a bit rumbustious for my tastes"

Comment

Vacuous, tabloid obsessed, talentless muppet.

Sums up the PM quite well I think.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X