• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Social Services haven't learned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Services haven't learned

One of my daughter's school friends (about 9 years old) comes from a broken home (lot of it about these days). She currently spends most of the time being looked after by her grandparents, who I know quite well, and who are lovely people. They take her to school, pick her up, give her tea, do all the things that good parents would do.

The girl's mum is a druggie and an alcoholic. She's married to a violent drug dealer, who has been in hiding from some people because they were going to "hurt" him. They've been sleeping rough, on peoples' sofas, anywhere except at home. The step-dad has threatened the grandparents with physical violence in the past, including quite recently.

Social Services have this week declared that the level of care provided by the mum and the step-dad is "just good enough" for them to have custody of my daughter's friend and her younger sister. Unbelieveable. What planet are they living on, because it's certainly not Earth.

So the friend will be moving school, away from all her friends to live in a dangerous environment. I'm stunned by the level of idiocy on display.

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    One of my daughter's school friends (about 9 years old) comes from a broken home (lot of it about these days). She currently spends most of the time being looked after by her grandparents, who I know quite well, and who are lovely people. They take her to school, pick her up, give her tea, do all the things that good parents would do.

The girl's mum is a druggie and an alcoholic. She's married to a violent drug dealer, who has been in hiding from some people because they were going to "hurt" him. They've been sleeping rough, on peoples' sofas, anywhere except at home. The step-dad has threatened the grandparents with physical violence in the past, including quite recently.

Social Services have this week declared that the level of care provided by the mum and the step-dad is "just good enough" for them to have custody of my daughter's friend and her younger sister. Unbelieveable. What planet are they living on, because it's certainly not Earth.

So the friend will be moving school, away from all her friends to live in a dangerous environment. I'm stunned by the level of idiocy on display.
    Its a very sad story. I do hope it works out for the child.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post

Social Services in this country just don't seem to be able to get it right - I have a freind who split up with his long term partner last year, they have 2 kids... it's coming up to a year now and he still hasn't seen them CasCaf or whatever the feck they are called have now decided the children need their own solicitor as the mum isn't "fit" but they were quite happy to leave the kids with her for the last year while she told them God knows what about their Dad...

She (the Mum) wouldn't even pass on Christmas or Birthday presents from him or his family... he spent all day in court yeterday and has finally been given permission for a supervised visit in 3 weeks. He is so nervous about seeing his own children again.

It looks like eventually he will get full custody as the cascaf people have asked for a psychological eval on the Mum... meanwhile she gets to keep the kids - it's totally shocking!
      Last edited by cailin maith; 22 April 2009, 15:02. Reason: spelling
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        Social Services in this country just don't seem to be able to get it right - I have a freind who split up with his long term partner last year, they have 2 kids... it's coming up to a year now and he still hasn't seen them CasCaf or whatever the flip they are called have now decided the children need their own solicitor as the mum isn't "fit" but they were quite happy to leave the kids with her for the last year while she told them God knows what about their Dad...

She (the Mum) wouldn't even pass on Christmas or Birthday presents from him or his family... he spent all day in court yeterday and has finally been given permission for a supervised visit in 3 weeks. He's is so nervous about seeing his own children again.

It looks like eventually he will get full custody as the cascaf people have asked for a psychological eval on the Mum... meanwhile she gets to keep the kids - it's totally shocking!

Women - snakes with tits
        Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
        I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

The assumption that children are better off with their parents is wrong. As is the assumption that children are better off with their mother.

These stories appal me because the children will be further damaged while social services get to tick a box.

I could weep

Comment

Originally posted by tino View Post
            Women - snakes with tits
            My friends ex certainly is!! Crazy bint.... I swear if I ever bump into her, I will lamp her!

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            The assumption that children are better off with their parents is wrong. As is the assumption that children are better off with their mother.

These stories appal me because the children will be further damaged while social services get to tick a box.

I could weep
            Me too
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              I could weep
              You know what? So could I. Very few things upset me, but this certainly has.

Comment

that's depressing.

Guy I know, when he was splitting up with his now ex-wife, she threatened to tell the police he hit her and the kids.

Said she wouldn't if he signed over the house. He ended up doing it too.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  that's depressing.

Guy I know, when he was splitting up with his now ex-wife, she threatened to tell the police he hit her and the kids.

I would have hit her for that nonsense
                  Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                  I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    that's depressing.

I got that threat too : in the case of my ex she threatened to say I was abusing the kids.

Comment

Working...
                    X