• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chick this out...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm away for most of the week I'd love to have a couple of chicken...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      If it wasn't for the fact that I'm away for most of the week I'd love to have a couple of chicken...
      Seriously - Get some....

All they need is:
      A safe place to Roost....
      A bit of shelter....
      Food & Drink....

Safety is the hardest bit...... Fox proof etc - and (as you are away) allowing them room to roam, dust bathe etc during the day (which obviously still needs to be secure cos you are not there to lock them up at night).

Several proper sturdy wooden posts set deep into the ground with "Chicken Wire".
      Either some sort of roofing (also Chicken Wire) - the Cheap way
      or
      A decent Electric Fence (Those Foxes don't like it "up em")

You can use "commercial" feeders which will hold enough food for them for ages.

It would help if you could get a neigbour to collect the eggs while you are away - but not essential.

Mine have free run of the back garden - No Electric fences or other elaborate stuff as we are able to shut them in at night (Mix of Sturdy wooden coops and "Omlet Eglu" (Its an Omlet Cube actually which is much bigger/better).

Start with some "Rescue Batts" and off you go.............

Comment

Mr C is around, but I'd don't think he'd like to take over the responsibility (they'd be 'mine' but he'd have to do the routine stuff).

Don't think the idea is a goer, sadly (but may put the proposal forward over a beer tonight..)
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Mr C is around, but I'd don't think he'd like to take over the responsibility (they'd be 'mine' but he'd have to do the routine stuff).

Don't think the idea is a goer, sadly (but may put the proposal forward over a beer tonight..)
          4-5 Beers later....

C: Hey! Mr C..... How would you fancy sharing with a few chicks.....
          Mr C: <Looking up from Bottle - Thinking "Did I just hear right?"> Eh?

(another) couple of Beers later

C: You can sort them out while I am away in the week......
          Mr C: <Chicks.... Sort out... Cojak away.....> Eh?

just another one

Mr C: Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Uuuurp! <Fart>
          C: OK thats agreed then!

Comment

You could always get some virtual chickens http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/rootbeer/550996

Dont taste as good as the real thing though!

PZZ

Comment

And I thought this would be a throw-a-way thread LOL.
              You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
                Hello Farmer T - Maybe we should set up a "Agricultural Group"...... of maybe not!

All my Birds are pretty rough and scraggy although it must be said they are a brilliant lay......... and the Chickens aren't much better

boom-tish-BOOM!

OK IGMC
                Maybe we should, I know two other posters here are farmers as one's in the same farmers group on another website, and another is a member of the same farmers union.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                X