• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Advice

Got a 12 month extension in the offing. It is going to take me through the long winter months. I will have to comute early in the morning and go home in the dark.

So the Bike is a no go, and I will need a car.

What is the best thing to consider

1: A banger (circa £1500 diesel)
    2: A mid-range 2nd hand sell on (circa £4K-5K)
    3: A reasonable rep-mobile (£10K Audi A6)

Advice appreciated........
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Buy a nearly new Porsche and stop messing about.

Comment

Are you considering total costs over x months??

A banger may need less initial investment, but if it goes wrong and needs another 1500 spent on it, MOT etc, time lost from your contract etc, then is not cheaper.

What about petrol consumption??

Would you only use it for work related travel, or something else at the weekend??

Many hire companies do long term car hire for not much more than the cost of a second hand car over a period of months.

Of course there is your tax position to think about also.

PZZ

Comment

option 1 is the one you know you want, Gwaaan gwaan.

'Cheap' fuel nowadays as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105 View Post
          option 1 is the one you know you want, Gwaaan gwaan.

'Cheap' fuel nowadays as well.
          Troo Dat! I want to spend nothing. However I want to hear from my esteemed CUK buddies on their thoughts/experiences.

Come on hit me with the juice. Gimme the good stuff.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

When I knew I was going to be doing lots of driving I bought a Mazda RX8.
            I wanted a comfortable car that went fast, had air con, sat nav and a decent stereo - also I love the shape

I've had it 3 years now and still love it, it is a joy to drive and it growls brilliantly.

However it is not remotely economical, but it is shiny ...so very very shiny ... and red....and shiny......... <dribble>

I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Banger - get a petrol one though - extra purchase price of diesel car isn't worth it at banger level

Comment

Prius?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                  When I knew I was going to be doing lots of driving I bought a Mazda RX8.
                  You are Harold Steptoe and I claim my 'as good as new' rusty bicycle frame.
                  You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
                    Prius?

My understanding was that these are the most environmentally un-friendly cars due to the level of Nickel/Cadmium in the batteries.

Comment

Working...
                    X