• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How does a recruitment consultant tarnish their reputation further?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does a recruitment consultant tarnish their reputation further?

Hello All,

First off, as my name here suggests, I used to work in recruitment, so feel free to coat me off accordingly. I was successful, but to be frank, didn't witness any of the dubious practices some of my industry peers appear to pull off when reading some of your comments on here. I was more often than not financially retained by construction companies to search for executives and niche staff. Anyways, 2 years ago, a client of mine offered me a Business Development role in house and I love it.

It was here that I first encountered recruitment consultants as a client and immediately understood why they have such a bad press - untrained idiots without even a modicum of intellect or professionalism.

I thought you all might like to here what's occurred in the last three weeks or so as I think it is absolutely shocking to be frank.

It started one day when we received a call from an Indian sounding guy purporting to be a client of ours who we know intimately. I spoke to him and it was evident he wasn't who he said he was. After qualifying this, I put the phone down on him. He called back immediately and it was obvious it was him again. This time he was pretending to be someone else. Effectively, he was fishing for mobile numbers for our staff. A few times, he was able to speak to some of our staff and had some joy in getting what he was looking for. One of my colleagues was caught off guard and passed my mobile number to him. Cheers! An email was sent to all and we cut him off at the pass.

Over the next week or so, we must've had 100 calls a day from him.

At my wits end, I spoke to some friends who still work in recruitment and it transpires numerous headline construction recruitment companies have outsourced name gathering to the subcontinent as a cost effective means of generating their potential candidate database.

The next time he called, I made an attempt to befriend him. He openly admitted to generating over 700 names and numbers personally and that there were over 150 people like him in a call centre all attacking the construction industry.

Then I received a call from him and he clearly had no receollection of our last call - probably a reflection of speaking to so many people. He asked me to call him on his mobile - all other calls he made had come from a withheld number.

When I called this number a man from England answered and didn't go by the name I'd been given. He told me who he worked for and we politely ended the call. I called HO of the company he worked for to confirm he was legit and he was. I explained to this company what had happened and the lady there said the same was happening to them and it was driving them crazy.

Then, I started getting calls on my mobile from people who he had asked to call him back on. It made no sense whatsoever and was clearly agrreiving countless people.

I called our telephone provider yesterday and they are looking into it. I called OFCOM, but they said that as the calls are originating from overseas, they are powerless.

Things have calmed down since yesterday, but I'll keep you updated - I've informed the news editor of a trade publication and they are investigating.

I am determined to identify the recruitment companies responsible for this - I have been given names of two who have done it in the past, but nothing concrete as yet.

Tossers.

Jesus, outsourced recruitment agents?

"Yes I am needing 2 references, please do the needful"
    The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

lol

Milan.

Comment

If he calls again give him the number of a Mr Bob Shawadiwadi (and make sure its a premium rate number)

Welcome to our happy band
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I've got some numbers for you:

Recruitment Director: Miss Lote Jobs 056843865454401115422440
          HR Director: Miss Jo Bosworth 04568785422185252145572010
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            I've got some numbers for you:

Recruitment Director: Miss Lote Jobs 056843865454401115422440
            HR Director: Miss Jo Bosworth 04568785422185252145572010
            What about Isaac Hunt?
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              What about Isaac Hunt?
              Mike Hunt - Company doctor.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

There was a chap that sat near me on the floor of one of the banks that used to give the number he got off of a card he found in one of the phone boxes.

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

You've missed a trick. Set up a premium rate number and get them to call that
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Why did he sit on the floor? Didn't he have a chair?

Comment

Working...
                    X