• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who is working where?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is working where?

Another thread is asking about the job market, I am wondering how many are working local.
    Please post answers saying if your situation is normal ie you have never worked away, or it is unusual to be at home.

For me. I have been working for 30 years, contracting for 10 of those. I have been able to daily commute for all of 7 of those years as either permie or contract. I have had 1 contract in the UK and that was a weekly commute.

Poll to follow.
    I live in the North and daily commute
    19.70%
    I live in the North but lodge during the week.
    15.15%
    I live in the North but commute abroad.
    6.06%
    I live in the South and daily commute
    50.00%
    I live in the South but lodge during the week.
    3.03%
    I live in the South but commute abroad.
    3.03%
    I live abroad but commute to work in the UK.
    3.03%
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

I live abroad and commute abroad on a daily basis. 20-30 minutes journey each way. Or longer if I stop off at the pub on the way home. On that basis, it's "normal".

In the past though I've commuted to the UK. And when living in the Uk I've done my fair share of weekly commutes.

So, 1996-97 - weekly commute to France from the West Country, ended up working mon and fri remotely

Since '96, I've been done weekly commutes for 2.5 years. 3 hours on the road per day commutes for 2 years. 1 hours into London commute for one year. 18 months of 120 mile commute each way, so 2-3 days in Hotel. 3 months commute from CH to Birmingham. 6.5 years commute daily, 20-30 mins.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 1 July 2009, 08:02.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I am commuting 1 hour each way to my current gig. But I do my hours in 4 days and try to work 1 day from home if possible, so it is not too bad.

My rate is down about 30% from its peak of 2 years ago as well.

I am just happy to be work to be honest, a number of folks I know aren't.

Working abroad is always something that has interested me, I will have to look into it when the market is on the up.
      Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

I usually work away, this is only my second time back in the UK in 10 years. Off again in 3 weeks, not sure where yet.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

How about a button for those that live and work abroad??

PZZ

Comment

I've only in the last three years come back to living a commutable distance from work every day: I was previously living abroad and working anywhere the work took me which typically meant flying out on a Sunday and back on a Friday.

Comment

Only ever worked within an hours commute of Pondlife HQ for about six months back in 98/99.

All the rest have been weekly travel or on some long haul projects, fortnightly.

Currently live in UK but work in DE with travel on Mon - Thurs.

Comment

Originally posted by pzz76077 View Post
                How about a button for those that live and work abroad??

PZZ
                I did consider that but decided not to count them. This is CUK after all. I was trying to get a gauge on those who live or work in the UK.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

I live in the North West and work in Germany during the week. There are very few roles in the NW at the moment. My rate is up 20%

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
                    I live in the North West and work in Germany during the week. There are very few roles in the NW at the moment. My rate is up 20%
                    Same here. I commute from Manchester to Dusseldorf most weeks. Was expecting this to be a 3-6 month contract, but it's coming up to a year now and looking likely to go to about 14 months in total. Bit too much for a contract abroad really, but one can't be fussy these days. There are a few local jobs, but the rates are absurdly low.

Comment

Working...
                    X