• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Agency is playing a 28 day rules on me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HeyWay789 View Post
    HI My Agency is saying now that when I complete my timesheet at the end of the month I have to wait a further 28 days for them to pay me. Is this normal? As I would be out of pocket for almost 8 weeks from the start of the month.
    How is the start of the month relevent for work done at the end?

tim

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
      For me it was a pretty big agency on a government agency gig.

Payment got held up for weeks, I complained to the manager at the client and he said:

"I'm not interested. We use agents specifically so we don't have to deal with your problems."

Every payment was a week or so later than contractually agreed after that.

Numpty 0 - Pimp 1 - Client 1
      Don't complain to the client. Point out to the client that if the issue is not resolved rapidly, you will have to remain offsite while it is resolved. Then it might be his problem that the agency are not reliably supplying the services they contracted for.

But it has to be "the agent causing him a problem", not "you bringing your problems to him".
      Last edited by expat; 1 July 2009, 20:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
        Unless you are working for a micky mouse client, agency is more likely to go bust than client.

10 years ago, when i was a newbie at contracting used to accept 30 day delay in payment from invoiceing but learned the hard way how foolish this is, because..you guessed it...agency went bust leaving me out of pocket in a BIG way (some 60 days worth of work for nothing)

Since then never accepted more than 7 days exposure from invoice date (aka 37 days from first worked date if invoicing monthly) and never will again.

And if they are more than a few days late i tell client not been paid and down tools, funny how fast payment comes then (and neither time that this has happened has client been pissed at me, always at agency)

So unless your signed contract allows them to do this, don't accept it (They are not going to terminate your contract as that would piss off the client).

If you did sign a contract with these terms, then you will have to live with it and learn the lesson for next time to not accept contracts with these types of terms, even if the agent says they normally pay much quicker
        Me too, would turn down ANY agent that can not pay me weekly on time (and clearly state this in the contract).

If your agents client goes bust its not your problem (ignoring reality for a moment), you don't have a contract with them, the agency does, you should not need to provide them with insurance like this unless they are prepared to compensate you with a rate rise in return.

I would additionally ask your agent for a copy of the evidence on the clients financial state to be sure that hes not trying it on.

OTOH, if the client does go bust, and the agent becomes insolvent and you are an unsecured creditor all of a sudden.

PZZ
        Last edited by pzz76077; 1 July 2009, 22:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty View Post
          For me it was a pretty big agency on a government agency gig.

Payment got held up for weeks, I complained to the manager at the client and he said:

"I'm not interested. We use agents specifically so we don't have to deal with your problems."

Every payment was a week or so later than contractually agreed after that.

Numpty 0 - Pimp 1 - Client 1
          As Expat said, your mistake was "taking your problems to the client" instead of "making it his problem"

Hence why you down tools

Comment

For my new contract, the agency pays 28 days after invoice.

I was talking to the guy today and he just suggested I invoice weekly - that way I'm paid weekly from 5 weeks in, rather than monthly from 8 weeks in.

I thought it was an excellent of him to suggest this.
            "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
              For my new contract, the agency pays 28 days after invoice.

I was talking to the guy today and he just suggested I invoice weekly - that way I'm paid weekly from 5 weeks in, rather than monthly from 8 weeks in.

I thought it was an excellent of him to suggest this.
              And you fell for that. Agency tried that on me once and I said I either stay on the agreed terms setup at the start of the original contract or it`s bye bye from me. I stated that had the terms been 28 days at start of first contract I wouldn`t of accepted it.

Some of you guys just fall over and take it up the ......

Comment

late fees?

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                As Expat said, your mistake was "taking your problems to the client" instead of "making it his problem"

Hence why you down tools
                Big question for you and Menelaus: did you charge late fees as allowed by law?

For that matter, has anybody ever succeeded in getting late fees out of an agent?

I am having a big issue getting paid by an agent right now, and trying to figure out if this will add pressure or just complicate things.
                Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
                  And you fell for that. Agency tried that on me once and I said I either stay on the agreed terms setup at the start of the original contract or it`s bye bye from me. I stated that had the terms been 28 days at start of first contract I wouldn`t of accepted it.

wouldn't have
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post

That attitude fails to take account of the individual situation.

If you are in a strong position having to fend off offers of work, then I would agree.

However, this is not the case for me and in honesty, 28 days doesn't bother me - I am managing my finances well enough that it wont make any difference, whatsoever.

My point still stands up: the agent actually suggested a way to minimise the pain, and for that I salute him!
                    "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                      That attitude fails to take account of the individual situation.

If you are in a strong position having to fend off offers of work, then I would agree.

However, this is not the case for me and in honesty, 28 days doesn't bother me - I am managing my finances well enough that it wont make any difference, whatsoever.

My point still stands up: the agent actually suggested a way to minimise the pain, and for that I salute him!
                      You won't be in a good financial position if the agent goes belly up taking 60 days of pay with it. The issue is not how good or bad somebody is regarding their personal finances its why should the little guy be made to wait for the money and hold all the risk. If the agent is doing this then ask for a rate rise. One of the tasks agencies often do is to factor invoices, if they are not doing this then get somebody to do it for you and pass the cost onto the agency. If they have suddenly implemented this alarm bells should be going off - I wouldn't want them holding onto up to 8 weeks of my money if they are having moeny problems. If contractors are finding the going tough, so will agents.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X