• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google drop down list

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google drop down list

When you type into the google seach field it starts to display possible seach entries. WTF is it basing the suggestions on?

Type the letter 'u' and the suggestions include 'ugg boots' and 'ultimate guitar'. Neither of which can possibly be in the top 10 most popular searches starting with a 'u', nor are they things I have ever searched for.

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    When you type into the google seach field it starts to display possible seach entries. WTF is it basing the suggestions on?

Type the letter 'u' and the suggestions include 'ugg boots' and 'ultimate guitar'. Neither of which can possibly be in the top 10 most popular searches starting with a 'u', nor are they things I have ever searched for.

Perhaps they are getting paid for these entries to appear first?

Edit: When I type in 'u' I get 'utube', 'ucas', 'utorrent' so perhaps the above theory is pants - in answer to your question, dunno!

Comment

Paid advertising

HTH

Comment

Sadly it is wot the yoof of today is searchin for, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
          Paid advertising

HTH
          I'm not talking about the search results but the dropdown suggested searches. They don't look like paid for entries.

Comment

I'd expect it's based on what is most usually search... best keywords and all that.

Must have a built in content filter though.... try doing some naughty keywords

Comment

I'm not talking about the search results but the dropdown suggested searches. They don't look like paid for entries.
              It's configurable. Look at the Google Preferences - it's the last option.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                It's configurable. Look at the Google Preferences - it's the last option.
                I'm not bothered about them appearing, just slightly amused by their complete randomness.

Comment

I'm not bothered about them appearing, just slightly amused by their complete randomness.
                  I suppose it's a quick way of finding out what's cool. Although typing 'a' brings up argos, amazon, autotrader, asda. Common rather than cool, perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                  X