• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay it back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay it back

Scary graph:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009...ntral-bankers/

It really is all new Lie-Bore's fault.
    Bored.

Excellent graph that needs more publicity.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As I was saying the other day Major used the budget in 1990 to try and stop the increase in consumer debt, bringing in TESSAS. He realised at the time that too much debt is dangerous and looking at that graph it obviously worked.

It just goes to show what an arse Labour have made of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        As I was saying the other day Major used the budget in 1990 to try and stop the increase in consumer debt, bringing in TESSAS. He realised at the time that too much debt is dangerous and looking at that graph it obviously worked.

It just goes to show what an arse Labour have made of the country.

... and then in 1997 Labour abolished PEPS that allowed people to save 9K annually tax free and brought in the ISAs that reduced this amount considerably. On top of this they abolished tax credits on dividends that destroyed pension saving and we all know where that leaves us. A Labour government means tax, tax and more tax. People will learn one day.

Comment

So in theory interest rate rises should hit people very hard when they come?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            So in theory interest rate rises should hit people very hard when they come?
            As they surely as night follows day. 6 or 7% base rate within 2 to 3 years I reckon. Fix your mortgage rate now if you have one.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              As they surely as night follows day. 6 or 7% base rate within 2 to 3 years I reckon. Fix your mortgage rate now if you have one.
              But rates wont need to go that high if people are so indebted? I wonder how the debt is split between fixed and floating?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                But rates wont need to go that high if people are so indebted? I wonder how the debt is split between fixed and floating?
                Majority of mortgages are now fixed (remember reading that in the Telegraph a couple of weeks back). Government expenditure and debt will drive inflation/interst rates rather than a consumer side boom this time. A gilt stike and a big downgrade in UK credit worthy-ness from AAA to A- or B+ in the market will see the UK's interest rates rise considerably, IMO.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                X