• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US to go tits up in September

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Nah, it's definitely a virus. A team reported only last week that they'd identified viral DNA or RNA (I forget which) in the stomachs of ill or dead bees (from hives with CCD) that was absent in healthy bees.

The snag is bees have a primitive immune system, which doesn't involve antibodies in the same way as that of vertibrates, so conventional vaccines won't work.

But I dare say one could "infect" a queen bee with a retrovirus that copied a suitable gene into its germ line, so its descendants could resist the CCD virus.
    Sorry, but actually it didn't. What they did manage to show was that in colonies where bees are sick, there are lots of similarly sick bees, and in healthy colonies, if bees start to get sick, then other bees will start to get sick with the same symptoms.

It did make me laugh reading it, but that's the way science in the west has gone over the last 20 odd years: lots of papers presented by people who have a vested interest in presenting lots of papers that/to keep their jobs.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Sigh - The link to the research I cited is here.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which of myself or Threaded is talking carp

(or, being charitable, whether perhaps Threaded is referring to some different research).
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This one will probably make it easier for the hard of thinking.

Comment

Anyways, farmed bee numbers have been falling in the west since the 1980s, but colony collapse disorder was a big thing in 2006. So by my explanation, a simple Google search on 'Bee Regulations 2006' will show the countries that experienced the worst effects of 'colony collapse disorder' that year.

Which, uh huh, it does.

Obvious as the nose on ones face. Well, it is to me.

QED

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Sigh - The link to the research I cited is here.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide which of myself or Threaded is talking carp

(or, being charitable, whether perhaps Threaded is referring to some different research).
            I'm impressed that their findings conclude that the virus makes bees more susceptible to pesticides, and not that pesticides make the bees more susceptible to picorna-like viruses and other viruses

Comment

It was also discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

Comment

Well, almost survived September... Now we'll see if the October thread is right.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary View Post
                  Well, almost survived September... Now we'll see if the October thread is right.
                  You wouldn't be suggesting that the people who keep commenting on economics here haven't the first clue what they are talking about would you?

Be fair....it does make for entertaining reading though. I just hope that they are a little bit more clued up about their profession - but then given how much time they spend posting nonsense on here all day, I have my doubts.
                  Last edited by PM-Junkie; 30 September 2009, 10:52.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Inside the State Dept., there is a sense of sadness and foreboding that 'something' is about to happen ...

Did someone say Tits up ?

Are you guys for real ?

October's rally has shown no sign of running out of steam, with shares on both sides of the Atlantic reaching near 13 month highs.

Buoyed by a combination of positive production news from a number of miners and forecast beating results from JP Morgan and Intel, the FTSE 100 added 101.95 points to 5256.10, its highest level since September 19 last year. Wall Street investors also joined in the party, pushing the Dow Jones Industrial Average within 12 points of the key 10,000 barrier by the time London closed, the first time this level has been in reach since October 2008.
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 15 October 2009, 12:17.

Comment

Working...
                    X