• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just Left 60K Permie Job To Contract At 400 Per Day - Am I mad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Left 60K Permie Job To Contract At 400 Per Day - Am I mad

Title says it all.

I have just resigned to do a contracting job at 400 per day..

My permie job sucked big time and I was not getting any of the exposure I wanted.

I work in finance in London

Someone tell me I am not mad???

if your contract is for a month id be worried.

Comment

Originally posted by dozer View Post
      if your contract is for a month id be worried.
      Contract is for 12 months...

Comment

money for jam.

Comment

You aren't mad. When it comes to the big decisions about life just go with impulse I reckon. So many imponderables, buts and what ifs you will never know if it was right or not.

Think hard only about the small and short term stuff, like what length screw you need to hold a kitchen shelf up, those are the only sorts of decision where you can look back and say I got it right or wrong with any certainty.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I don't think you are mad but as a newbie the agent will be taking the mickey with his cut from the rate being charged to the client.

If you were on £60,000 a year as a permie then assuming that what you are doing contract is at a similar level then you should be looking at £600 per day.

It is too late to do anything about that (professionally) now, but when it comes to renewal time you need to be prepared to play real hardball with the agent to get that £600 per day.

You will not be prepared for how hard you have to play the contract negotiation to get that better cut but if necessary you must be prepared to refurse to turn up on site until the renewal has the rate that you want on it.

It is when the client gives the agent a call to ask where you are that the agent will then buckle.

Comment

£60k pa permie = £600 pd contractor? Eh?
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

£250pd == ~£60k perm if you play your cards right through the limited co.
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
                  A contract is only ever as long as your notice period.
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post
                    What is the notice period? Are they obliged to give you work during that time?

Comment

Working...
                    X