• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Patent madness: MS banned from selling Word

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patent madness: MS banned from selling Word

Welcome to the world of surprising patent lawsuits. A Texas judge ruled Tuesday that Microsoft cannot sell Word – yes, Microsoft Word, the cornerstone of Microsoft Office – in the United States.
    Full story: http://mashable.com/2009/08/12/word-patent/

Is this for real?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Full story: http://mashable.com/2009/08/12/word-patent/

Is this for real?
    Open Office is far better. Anyone who actually pays for Microsoft Word these days is a clueless mupp (unless there's something I've overlooked).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

it seems it is for real..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ord-in-US.html
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Well as real as anything patent related that comes out of East Texas.

Though won't mean much, as MS have 60 days to appeal and they can continue as normal until then.

Then they will probably get the ban lifted at the appeal court level as higher courts have already come down saying that trade should not be stopped over a patent battle while the legal process is underway (fallout from the RIM case)

And while this is on going Patent office will probably review the patent and toss it out as being to broad/generic

US really needs to stop allowing software patent's (and UK/Euro needs to stop thinking about implementing them)

Comment

Like the one MS was recently granted
          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08...t_word_patent/

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Open Office is far better. Anyone who actually pays for Microsoft Word these days is a clueless mupp (unless there's something I've overlooked).
            I go to a client and I ask them to switch from MS Office to OpenOffice, to be compatable with me. They tell me to f*** off, they'll find someone else.

What's my answer to that?

Comment

Originally posted by stackpole View Post
              I go to a client and I ask them to switch from MS Office to OpenOffice, to be compatable with me. They tell me to f*** off, they'll find someone else.

What's my answer to that?
              ANSWER - Sorry, Did I say those the wrong way round. Your going to pay me how much? How far would you like me to bend over?

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
                ANSWER - Sorry, Did I say those the wrong way round. Your going to pay me how much? How far would you like me to bend over?

"Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
                  Good plan.

A better plan is to skip the bit about OpenOffice altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    Aside from the fact you're wrong, this is a thread about the news. Go start your own thread to whinge about things you don't like.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X