• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So shines a good deed in a weary world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once found a wallet containing 450 quid in cash outside a pub.

I kept it.

Noooo I mean I got the pub to put a note in the pub to ask if anyone had lost it.
    Got a call to claim it. Verified that it was genuine by a check on the other contents, and posted it back to them. Minus 50 quid for my trouble (i.e. recorded postage cost and 20 minutes spent in a queue at the post office to send it)

Aren't I good

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      £150 wallet !!!! how the **** does a wallet ever cost 150notes?

my wallet is an unsual rip proof, waterproof air mail envelope style wallet
      It's $15. It appears you overpaid by about £143.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The wallet

Comment

That looks just like the one I got off the market for £1.50.....
          Still Invoicing

Comment

True heartwarming story

In the early 90s I once lost a wallet on the tube on my way to work with a substantial amount of money in it.
            Around 9.30 in the morning I got a call from reception saying I had a courier delivery.
            Apparently some bloke/bird had found my wallet, found several of my business cards inside (was a permie that that time), and paid for a courier to have it sent to me at work. All anonymous.

I hadn't even noticed my wallet was gone.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

In the '70s I had a summer job weeding baby fir trees at a plantation in the Scottish Highlands, miles from the nearest village let alone town.

One day after cycling back to my tent I found I had lost £20, which was quite a lot in those days.

A month later, I was cycling down the same track and spotted a piece of paper fluttering in the breeze.

Turned out to be the £20 note that had fallen out of my pocket.

Not a reflection of anyone's honesty, because I don't think a soul had passed that way for weeks. But at least the sheep munching away nearby were considerate enough not to have guzzled it.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                my wallet is an unsual rip proof, waterproof air mail envelope style wallet
                I've got the dot matrix one bearing digits from the decimal expansion of pi

Comment

I once dropped about 2 months unclaimed signed timesheets in the station, never even noticed. A couple of days later a letter arrived for me at client co with them in it and a small note. A contractor who used to work there found them and recognised what they were.

Comment

I once dropped some notes of mine that contained detailed instructions of how to successfully perform cold fusion under laboratory conditions. Not only did the person that found them not use them to become a successful billionaire/nobel peace prize winner and steal my thunder, but they also posted them back to me, as a business card was in the envelope along with the documents.

I did not even notice I had lost them.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

In the 1980s, when at college, I dropped my wallet in a park in Germany with about £120 in it and my Student Union card, all my contacts' phone numbers, my donor card, my parent's details clearly as next of kin and my provisional licence in it.

The remainder of the two weeks was pretty piss-poor.
                      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X