• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dragon's Den

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you go to the recipies page..

http://www.mydish.co.uk/recipes/meal...s/soup-recipes

you get javascript errors. Hover over the image the pointer does not change to a hand yet it is a link. 600,000 grand? I could knock that up in a few weeks and get a mate to do the design.

It could be a decent plan B if you could attach yourself to angel investors who plough money into ideas before they build the technology.

Comment

Yeah the site's rubbish and as techies most of us know it cost hundreds of thousands more than it's worth.

The business model however I think might have legs (at least for a while)...

Companies are eating up this affiliation stuff at the moment. The links to Ocado/Asda or whatever will be worth cash.

B00med!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        It was Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse's parody that did it for me.
        I hadn't seen that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tc6-vSYIMk
        Last edited by Grinder; 14 August 2009, 09:24.
        "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by tim123 View Post
          Did anyone see this last night?

The woman who's spent 600 grand on this:

http://www.mydish.co.uk/

tim
          Certainly wasn't plenty cheapness. Own up, which of you did this for £1,500 a day?

PS.
          What the hell is this at the bottom?

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01a8'

Object required: 'value'

/interface/scripts/asp/database.asp, line 178
          Last edited by DimPrawn; 14 August 2009, 09:34.

Comment

22k a month burn rate is crazy, they must be hosting it on the international space station.

Using Ruby on Rails a single developer could get a working prototype within a day, and polished product in about 3 months (with some help from graphical artist).

I think the site will probably do OK, I would guess their real plan is to get a few million visitors a month and sell it on for a couple of million.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post

<off to pcworld for new keyboard />

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
                Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on '78.143.252.81' (10061)

/interface/scripts/asp/database.asp, line 67

ODBC Drivers? MySQL? good grief! in this day & age????
                I think people use the ODBC MySQL driver to get around the GPL issue, as you dont put any of the MySQL driver into your code. But more to the point who uses classic asp anymore! What are they using visual interdev to develop it

also isnt that a public facing ip for the db server, anyone wanna see if they are using anon access or default passwords...

finally how is she going to make money from this?
                Last edited by DSW; 14 August 2009, 09:39. Reason: more thoughts

Comment

Classic ASP and MySQL. Nice combo.

I wonder how much a .NET version would have cost them.

Comment

I expect to see some dodgy russian guy on this next year trying to get funding for his search engine.

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post

<off to pcworld for new keyboard />
                      Excellent! I thought the Duncan Guillotine character was spot on!
                      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X