• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House Boats

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amsterdam

I lived on the NADINE II at Waterlooplein in Amsterdam when working at ABN Amro in 2006. Houseboat living in the middle of a town isn't great if it's a massive tourist haven like Amsterdam but I'd expect if outside of Oxford then it'd be good.

In other things to be considered:

- sanitation: how does waste water get off the boat?
    - water: does it have a clean water source / water purification?
    - electrics: how does it generate power (e.g., solar panels, mains connection)

Maintenance and mooring charges may be an issue to be considered also.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      The two happiest days in boat ownership are...

The day you buy it!

The day you sell it!
      A boat is a hole in the water where you throw money!

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        The name of the vessel is the most important thing.

If, for example, she's called "The Canal Queen", make sure the paint hasn't peeled away on the letter "C".

Otherwise you may be getting some unexpected visitors.
        unless he's the one doing the peeling

Comment

A few questions...

When was the boat last surveyed and by whom?

Year and method of construction?

Anodes, when were they last replaced?

Certificates, Boat Safety etc.

Are you paying cash or getting a marine mortgage?

Comment

Always been a pipe dream of mine. I am, in fact a bit of a closet gongoozler.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              £120K for a boat seems a bit steep. No idea how that compares, but it sounds like not much less than a cheap flat with a lot of disadvatages.

I'm not sure I'd want to be walking along a tow path at night, and I'm not an 18 year old girl. There was a murder on the Oxford canal in Banbury not so long ago.
              There was a murder in a high street in london this weekend*. This fact didn't stop me from doing the shopping.

Boat living is a lot of fun, and generally has much more of a sense of community than a flat. I would have been overjoyed if my parents had bought me a boat whilst I was at uni.

* in all likelyhood. They tend not to report them unless they are kids with knives these days.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                I have done a few narrowboat holidays, normally pay about £1200 for the week.
                It strikes me as perfect while its a novelty, but could easily become a real bummer.
                Yeah, it's incredible how quickly you get seduced into wanting to buy one and live on it, just after a week's pleasant holiday. I ended up reading the entire narrowboat-related internet and even buying a few boat magazines. Now I'm kind of glad I never went further, but the idea still pops up in daydreams from time to time. I think if I could buy one and use it for a year or so to do a proper tour of the canal network then I'd still be really tempted, but I'll wait till the kids are long gone... which is the standard sort of age for narrowboat owners anyway as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                  Yeah, it's incredible how quickly you get seduced into wanting to buy one and live on it, just after a week's pleasant holiday. I ended up reading the entire narrowboat-related internet and even buying a few boat magazines. Now I'm kind of glad I never went further, but the idea still pops up in daydreams from time to time. I think if I could buy one and use it for a year or so to do a proper tour of the canal network then I'd still be really tempted, but I'll wait till the kids are long gone... which is the standard sort of age for narrowboat owners anyway as far as I can tell.
                  They do tend to be oldies. My son in law got busted for speeding as he raced for the RV at a canal side pub. he was doing 50% over the speed limit at 3 knots

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    They do tend to be oldies. My son in law got busted for speeding as he raced for the RV at a canal side pub. he was doing 50% over the speed limit at 3 knots

Once, just once Thank God, we got cornered by a John Bull type who flew the Union Jack and kept going on about Queen and Empire. We politely declined his offer of sharing a long flight of locks with him. There are 23 locks on the canal as it drops down to Wigan.

It took me a couple of days to cope with the fact that I could walk faster, but once that was out of the way it really was a great way to wind down.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                      A few questions...

When was the boat last surveyed and by whom?

Year and method of construction?

Anodes, when were they last replaced?

Certificates, Boat Safety etc.

Are you paying cash or getting a marine mortgage?
                      Good questions, but was not in a position to ask them all, but will.

I would be paying cash for this, if I went for it, and that's a big IF as well as a big load of cash.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X