Sudoku Query Sudoku Query
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Sudoku Query

  1. #1

    Super poster

    kaiser78 is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Sudoku Query

    It is okay to guess where numbers go if you are unsure, or is the game etiquette to work out where they go without guessing ?

  2. #2

    Party Animal

    Zippy has more data than eek

    Zippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mr Flibble's wardrobe
    Posts
    20,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser78 View Post
    It is okay to guess where numbers go if you are unsure, or is the game etiquette to work out where they go without guessing ?
    They are logic problems so you should not need to guess (unless you are in the world championships or similar). If there are two/three possibilites write them in very small and eliminate later.

    Hope you haven't been worrying about this all day

  3. #3

    Super poster

    swamp is too good to be a permie

    swamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    Never guess.

    Never write on the page.

    HTH
    Cats are evil.

  4. #4

    Godlike

    PRC1964 is good enough for Jehovah!

    PRC1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eating your cheese
    Posts
    5,113

    Default

    Isn't there an I-phone app that lets you take a photo of the grid and then solves it for you?

    Just think of all the things you could do with your life if you didn't have to bother with the sudoku.

  5. #5

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz has reached the peak. Play again?

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    45,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    Never write on the page.
    A chap once watched me in a pub looking at a crossword for several minutes, then offered me a pen. I explained that I found it more fun to do it in my head.

    He expressed disbelief, and continued to watch me. About a minute later I completed it and threw the paper down, whereupon he asked in a sarcastic tone if I'd given up.

    Taking out my own pen, I proceeded to fill the entire grid in as he watched. What's more, rather than filling in each individual word, I went across the rows. Then I handed it to him so he could check that it was, indeed, correctly completed.

    He seemed rather taken aback

  6. #6

    Party Animal

    Zippy has more data than eek

    Zippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mr Flibble's wardrobe
    Posts
    20,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    A chap once watched me in a pub looking at a crossword for several minutes, then offered me a pen. I explained that I found it more fun to do it in my head.

    He expressed disbelief, and continued to watch me. About a minute later I completed it and threw the paper down, whereupon he asked in a sarcastic tone if I'd given up.

    Taking out my own pen, I proceeded to fill the entire grid in as he watched. What's more, rather than filling in each individual word, I went across the rows. Then I handed it to him so he could check that it was, indeed, correctly completed.

    He seemed rather taken aback
    Meh. Would have been more impressed if you hadn't needed to fill it in at all

  7. #7

    Godlike

    PRC1964 is good enough for Jehovah!

    PRC1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Eating your cheese
    Posts
    5,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    A chap once watched me in a pub looking at a crossword for several minutes, then offered me a pen. I explained that I found it more fun to do it in my head.

    He expressed disbelief, and continued to watch me. About a minute later I completed it and threw the paper down, whereupon he asked in a sarcastic tone if I'd given up.

    Taking out my own pen, I proceeded to fill the entire grid in as he watched. What's more, rather than filling in each individual word, I went across the rows. Then I handed it to him so he could check that it was, indeed, correctly completed.

    He seemed rather taken aback
    crosswords, at least good ones, are a proper challenge. Sudoku is like painting with numbers.

  8. #8

    Banned

    TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    I've got a little application on my PDA that generates sudoku puzzles called Superdoku, it's very enjoyable on the harder levels.

    I don't see sudoku as terrifically challenging it's just a nice mental diversion which is probably what it's designed for.

    Good fun as a personal entertainment.

  9. #9

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz has reached the peak. Play again?

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    45,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Meh. Would have been more impressed if you hadn't needed to fill it in at all
    Oh great, now I'm supposed to read the damn thing out to him?

  10. #10

    Super poster

    kaiser78 is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    They are logic problems so you should not need to guess (unless you are in the world championships or similar). If there are two/three possibilites write them in very small and eliminate later.

    Hope you haven't been worrying about this all day
    He yes, and whether Ramps or Key will be given the nod on Thursday ahead of Bell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •