• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Football skills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a set of cones/bottles/stones whatever and try dribbling round them in the back garden for an hour a night for a few weeks and you will improve dramatically. Keep your eye on where you are going (cone) and not the actual ball. Use the outside of the foot.

When passing always use the inside of the foot.

You might not get to be a Pele but you wil notice a big difference. The main thing is to feel easy with a ball at your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Good point. I view our Sunday kick-about with ambivalence, it's good exercise and I try to get into a positive frame of mind before-hand. I spend the first few minutes optimistically trying to get stuck in, but then it doesn't work and a)people stop passing the ball to me (not in a nasty way, I understandably just become the last resort to pass to) & b) I start to feel embarrassed and stop trying to get the ball since I know I'll stuff it up every time.
      Try and make some space, run into areas that have no players. If you believe you are in a good position, call for the ball. You'll get passed to more often if you move about. When your team lose posession, mark the opposition by standing between them and your goal (goal side it's called). Don't dive in, just stand in front. They will have to try and get around you this way. As soon as people see you making the effort to get back and mark players you will get praise.

If you just goal hang and fluff the occasional pass it's no good for moral or fitness. I am of course making a load of assumptions here.

Movement on and off the ball is just as important as ball control. Try working on your movement, the rest should follow.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Have you tried doing a search on YouTube for instructional videos?

e.g. Soccer Training
        (The search term "football training" seems to bring up a lot of American football related videos which I couldn't be bothered to go through).

Alternatively, why not try Amazon for training DVD's.

Comment

Last played a match about 15 years ago and was crud then. The way to look good is to join the team of a very small company, then they are so short of players there is probably someone even worse than you.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

BBC kids website has some instructional videos from the pros IIRC.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Last played a match about 15 years ago and was crud then. The way to look good is to join the team of a very small company, then they are so short of players there is probably someone even worse than you.
              No, I can assure you that is my role in the team
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                No, I can assure you that is my role in the team

According to Ron Manager you need :

Courage

Understanding (of the game)

Nouse

Tenacity

HTH
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Here you go, this should turn you into Beckham in no time.

Comment

I was a bit like you, didn't really start playing regularly until Uni, where I was truly awful... Few tips that helped me a lot.

- Play within your limits.
                    - Make your first few touches in a game as simple as possible (max your chances of success,) it will improve your confidence.
                    - Stay calm. If you f**k it up, forget it, and concentrate on the next time.
                    - Laugh a bit, it's only a game.

And most importantly (IMHO)...

- Work on your fitness. Good core strength=improved balance (and less panting)=less "wobble" when passing/shooting.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

According to Ron Manager you need :

Courage

Understanding (of the game)

Nouse

Tenacity

HTH
                      All I can see is Gary lineker's sweaty forehead ....
                      +50 Xeno Geek Points
                      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Working...
                      X