Avoiding French Rolls Avoiding French Rolls
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11

Super poster

Board Game Geek is too good to be a permie

Default Avoiding French Rolls

I know the French bang on about their baguettes and other pastry produce, but has anyone ever actually had a decent French Roll ? (cue jokes about mademoiselles and haylofts)

I had one many years ago in a service station in France and it was dire.

I dipped it in to my bowl of breakfast chocolate and stunningly that made it even worse.

Note : I did not lick the bowl afterwards and put it back. I'm not that sort of laddie.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

More time posting than coding

Le Rosbif has no reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I know the French bang on about their baguettes and other pastry produce, but has anyone ever actually had a decent French Roll ? (cue jokes about mademoiselles and haylofts)

I had one many years ago in a service station in France and it was dire.

I dipped it in to my bowl of breakfast chocolate and stunningly that made it even worse.

Note : I did not lick the bowl afterwards and put it back. I'm not that sort of laddie.
    It was possibly not a Michelin 3* service station?

In France we usually buy food from butchers, bakers or grocers, not service stations, local kebabs or over the phone.
    Last edited by Le Rosbif; 18th August 2009 at 06:59.

Should post faster

Evil Hangover has no reputation

On my last gig I worked with a consultant from Paris. Every Monday morning he would bring in fresh(ish) bakery produce from Paris (via Eurostar).

Very nice indeed.

Super poster

LRB posted : It was possibly not a Michelin 3* service station?
    I dunno. I was 14 at the time and on a school trip. We pulled in along with tons of other coaches.

I do remember buying a giant Kinder Egg, which where not available in the UK at the time. It had a colossal "build your own mechanical toy".

I think it was a time machine or something.

I gave it to one of the other kids* in return for a pork pie.

* possibly threaded ?
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Super poster

Ooops...previous post went a bit wobbly when posting in IE 8.

LRB posted : It was possibly not a Michelin 3* service station?
    I dunno. I was 14 at the time and on a school trip. We pulled in along with tons of other coaches.

I do remember buying a giant Kinder Egg, which where not available in the UK at the time. It had a colossal "build your own mechanical toy".

I think it was a time machine or something.

(That was the days when Kinder toys were actually really good and inventive. All you get nowadays are stupid football cartoon models that don't actually do anything. Bit like the real thing, really)

I gave it to one of the other kids* in return for a pork pie.

* possibly threaded ?

Oh blast..I've gone off topic...sorry.

Back to topic...I was led to believe that all French eating places were the epitome of food chic and taste. Not the service stations, obviously.
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 18th August 2009 at 07:40.

C.S. Lewis

Jedi Like

gingerjedi is too good to be a permie

Ham and cheese is the agreed standard Trans-Euro sandwich, any deviation is frowned upon by the EU stasi.

HTH
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Super Tramp

RichardCranium has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Ham and cheese is the agreed standard Trans-Euro sandwich, any deviation is frowned upon by the EU stasi.
    The perfect buffet sarni. (I.e., meat and no bloody salad)

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by gingerjedi View Post

HTH
    That's not entirely fair. Usually you have a choice of jambon et fromage, or fromage et jambon.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Super Tramp

RichardCranium has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    That's not entirely fair. Usually you have a choice of jambon et fromage, or fromage et jambon.
    Gotta be better than the London Underground's standard jammedon et frottage.

The beerded one

EternalOptimist is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Gotta be better than the London Underground's standard jammedon et frottage.
    very good

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work