• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New plan b

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    yes sunshine
    Ta love! Thought it was...
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

My wife once went to an "adults only" swimming session in Greenwich pool.
      It turned out to be a gay and lesbian session. Apparently everyone was extremely friendly. There weren't any clothing restrictions.

Comment

Do they have nudist sessions as well ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          Do they have nudist sessions as well ?
          Try the abbey leisure centre in Selby on a Sunday night

Eastbourne Naturist Swim Club weekly splash night from October to May

Levenshulme baths hired for naked male swimming sessions on a Thursday evening

Mildenhall Naturist Swimming Club is due to stage its first session at
          the new pool in Newmarket on Saturday

So that'll be a "Yes".
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

It is often not how things are RC but how they appear that matters and this sort of thing does stir up a lot of resentment. Others often have just as good or better case, that chap who wanted an open air cremation for example, there are plenty of rich Hindus who could have offered or paid for a suitable site away from habitation. It certainly appears that it is always Islam which gets all the concessions.

If it was an important matter of people not being able to pursue a career over a dress code it would be different but the argument that is is not a big deal to make a clothing requirement is somewhat diminished by the fact that what they are demanding is not very important either. People should make sacrifices, big or small, for their own faith, not expect others to.

You are also ignoring the major issue, and the French seem to have more sense on this, that these demands made on women in a closed Muslim society cannot properly be regarded as a matter of female choice. It is an viewpoint that should be confronted. As I have said before, I am somewhat amazed that liberals are so happy to jettison their attitudes to female equality or homosexuality whenever Islam rears its ugly head.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              It is often not how things are RC but how they appear that matters and this sort of thing does stir up a lot of resentment. Others often have just as good or better case, that chap who wanted an open air cremation for example, there are plenty of rich Hindus who could have offered or paid for a suitable site away from habitation. It certainly appears that it is always Islam which gets all the concessions.

If it was an important matter of people not being able to pursue a career over a dress code it would be different but the argument that is is not a big deal to make a clothing requirement is somewhat diminished by the fact that what they are demanding is not very important either. People should make sacrifices, big or small, for their own faith, not expect others to.

You are also ignoring the major issue, and the French seem to have more sense on this, that these demands made on women in a closed Muslim society cannot properly be regarded as a matter of female choice. It is an viewpoint that should be confronted. As I have said before, I am somewhat amazed that liberals are so happy to jettison their attitudes to female equality or homosexuality whenever Islam rears its ugly head.
              This last point is very important. I believe that our freedom, and our commitment to it applying equally to women as to men, is not a personal choice but a moral right. Someone who wants to impose contrary restrictions on women is not merely someone with an acceptable different point of view, but someone whose ideas have no place in our free society.

The essence of this is that someone who wants to remove the rights of others has no right to be permitted, far less supported, in doing so (and I will refuse to be dragged into any sophistry about their "rights" to do so).

There is another important point: why is religion so sacred? We find ourselves discussing whether "islamic" bathing dress is a religious requirement, or merely a social preference; the implication being that if it is a social preference then we might possibly disagree, but if it is religious then we must shut up about it. I say, what difference does it make? Whether you want all women to cover up because that's what they're made to do where you come from, or whether it's because you're convinced that this big guy in the sky with the white beard wants them to (and is issuing these orders through you, hmm), I don't care. You have no right to make it so. Do it yourself if you like, don't make others do it.

Comment

I'm for covering up the old and fat and men, but not young slim women.

Comment

Working...
                X