• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's that rumbling in the distance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's that rumbling in the distance?

That's the sound of inflation coming, that's what.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=apAoOyjm_Xts (SFW)

Todays figures show that the CPI rate has stayed the same as last month at 1.8% even though everyone expected it to drop to 1.5%.

The RPI rate increased to -1.4% from -1.6%.

Despite unemployment continuing to rise to the highest levels in 12 years it seems that inflation has turned the corner and is pushing up again.

Has the Bank of England overdone the Quantative Easing?

Stagflation anyone?

What do banks do when inflation is on the up? Clearly they wouldn't want to lend money when the return from interest payments is less than the fall in value of the capital through inflation. Does this mean base rates increase too when inflation goes up? Or are banks covered by an increase in returns from savers and so not that bovered?

Comment

At least the government debts start to look manageable. Surely thats a good thing?

Comment

Does this mean I can run up a whole shedload of debt and wait for it to be deflated into nothing?

Boomed!
        ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          Does this mean I can run up a whole shedload of debt and wait for it to be deflated into nothing?

Boomed!
          you could buy shares in majestic12 and achieve the same goal.

HTH

Comment

Lol, I'd like to see a NSFW link from Bloomberg.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Petrol is expected to reach 1.20 pounds a litre again by the New Year thanks to New Lies tax rises and the VAT rate increase. Yet another nail in the coffin for the economy, disposable incomes and inflation.

Comment

Oh I thought the rumbling may have been some cosmic debris from Betelgeuse hitting the Earth - guess I must have been mistaken.

Comment

Yeak, but what`s inflation REALLY, about 15%?

Comment

Sorry, it's me, I had chilli for lunch!
                    'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                    X