• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New students 'face £23,000 debt'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New students 'face £23,000 debt'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8205539.stm

Is this readers' comment true
    ...angered at how the Scottish government provides free university education to all EU students except rest of UK residents. To me, not only is it a slightly racist policy, but it angers me to think that the only way the Scottish government can afford to do this is through the taxes that UK taxpayers pay (i.e. 50 million English residents).
    or is it just an inaccurate anti-Scottish racist slur?

23000? Three months contracting should sort that out.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      23000? Three months contracting should sort that out.

... as a recent ex-student ? I think not !!

Comment

I am very sure that is not correct.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8205539.stm

Is this readers' comment true

or is it just an inaccurate anti-Scottish racist slur?
          The reader's comment is true in its main fact, but it is a slur because it hides rather than reveals what is going on.

Let me put it this way: the Scottish government provides (almost-)free university education to Scottish students, and to students of other EU countries whose own countries also provide free university education to students from Scotland.

Put that way, it is not racist of Scotland to do so, it is fair. England charges Scots, so Scotland charges English. As soon as England gives Scots free education, Scotland will give the English free education.

Comment

I might be wrong, but I understood the Scots offer free courses to Scottish residents. It doesn't matter whether you are Scotch, English or EU.

I'm not sure how you define residency though.

Edit: I was wrong, see expat's reply

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              The reader's comment is true in its main fact, but it is a slur because it hides rather than reveals what is going on.

Let me put it this way: the Scottish government provides (almost-)free university education to Scottish students, and to students of other EU countries whose own countries also provide free university education to students from Scotland.

Put that way, it is not racist of Scotland to do so, it is fair. England charges Scots, so Scotland charges English. As soon as England gives Scots free education, Scotland will give the English free education.

... but that 'free' Scottish education is paid for out of our UK taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                ... but that 'free' Scottish education is paid for out of our UK taxes.
                If the Scots want to allocate their resources to provide free Higher Education, they are free to do so. That is what devolution is about.

If you're in favour of dissolving the Union, then that's a different debate.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  I might be wrong, but I understood the Scots offer free courses to Scottish residents. It doesn't matter whether you are Scotch, English or EU.

I'm not sure how you define residency though.

Edit: I was wrong, see expat's reply

I dont think you are wrong - if you are from Scotland but have been abroad for more than three years then you are no longer 'resident' in the eyes of the Educational Grant folks - so it is a question of residency rather than nationality.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    If the Scots want to allocate their resources to provide free Higher Education, they are free to do so. That is what devolution is about.

If you're in favour of dissolving the Union, then that's a different debate.
                    We get into this one every time.
                    So what do the Scots not provide if they are spending all that money on education and prescriptions etc?

I would like someone to give a solid explanation of how the Scots manage what they do.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X