New students 'face £23,000 debt' New students 'face £23,000 debt'
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1

    More fingers than teeth

    TimberWolf is too good to be a permie

    TimberWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    17,505

    Default New students 'face £23,000 debt'

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8205539.stm

    Is this readers' comment true
    ...angered at how the Scottish government provides free university education to all EU students except rest of UK residents. To me, not only is it a slightly racist policy, but it angers me to think that the only way the Scottish government can afford to do this is through the taxes that UK taxpayers pay (i.e. 50 million English residents).
    or is it just an inaccurate anti-Scottish racist slur?

  2. #2

    Obstinate Git

    Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

    Mich the Tester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    27,893

    Default

    23000? Three months contracting should sort that out.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

  3. #3

    Banned

    Cyberman has no reputation


    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    23000? Three months contracting should sort that out.

    ... as a recent ex-student ? I think not !!

  4. #4

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,998

    Default

    I am very sure that is not correct.

  5. #5

    Godlike

    expat has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brutopia
    Posts
    8,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8205539.stm

    Is this readers' comment true


    or is it just an inaccurate anti-Scottish racist slur?
    The reader's comment is true in its main fact, but it is a slur because it hides rather than reveals what is going on.

    Let me put it this way: the Scottish government provides (almost-)free university education to Scottish students, and to students of other EU countries whose own countries also provide free university education to students from Scotland.

    Put that way, it is not racist of Scotland to do so, it is fair. England charges Scots, so Scotland charges English. As soon as England gives Scots free education, Scotland will give the English free education.

  6. #6

    Godlike

    Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    9,818

    Default

    I might be wrong, but I understood the Scots offer free courses to Scottish residents. It doesn't matter whether you are Scotch, English or EU.

    I'm not sure how you define residency though.

    Edit: I was wrong, see expat's reply

  7. #7

    Banned

    Cyberman has no reputation


    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    4,892

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    The reader's comment is true in its main fact, but it is a slur because it hides rather than reveals what is going on.

    Let me put it this way: the Scottish government provides (almost-)free university education to Scottish students, and to students of other EU countries whose own countries also provide free university education to students from Scotland.

    Put that way, it is not racist of Scotland to do so, it is fair. England charges Scots, so Scotland charges English. As soon as England gives Scots free education, Scotland will give the English free education.

    ... but that 'free' Scottish education is paid for out of our UK taxes.

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    Moscow Mule is too good to be a permie

    Moscow Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    ... but that 'free' Scottish education is paid for out of our UK taxes.
    If the Scots want to allocate their resources to provide free Higher Education, they are free to do so. That is what devolution is about.

    If you're in favour of dissolving the Union, then that's a different debate.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

  9. #9

    BardLike

    AlfredJPruffock is a permanent contractor

    AlfredJPruffock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    East Kilbride Library
    Posts
    5,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    I might be wrong, but I understood the Scots offer free courses to Scottish residents. It doesn't matter whether you are Scotch, English or EU.

    I'm not sure how you define residency though.

    Edit: I was wrong, see expat's reply



    I dont think you are wrong - if you are from Scotland but have been abroad for more than three years then you are no longer 'resident' in the eyes of the Educational Grant folks - so it is a question of residency rather than nationality.

  10. #10

    Tosser amongst Tossers

    The Lone Gunman has more data than eek

    The Lone Gunman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Live in Morecambe bay. Currently working in Southern Germany.
    Posts
    7,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    If the Scots want to allocate their resources to provide free Higher Education, they are free to do so. That is what devolution is about.

    If you're in favour of dissolving the Union, then that's a different debate.
    We get into this one every time.
    So what do the Scots not provide if they are spending all that money on education and prescriptions etc?

    I would like someone to give a solid explanation of how the Scots manage what they do.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

    The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

    Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •