• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alcohol Limit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    No actual argument I see. Par for the course.
    You'll find that I was agreeing with someone there.

Argument? With you? You're deluded!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      You're deluded!
      Quite. My delusion is that you have the intellectual apparatus to understand a point.

My apologies.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        are you seriously 6ft 8??

that's massively tall
        freakishly
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I don't exceed the 21 units on average, it's not deliberate, I drive a fair bit and it just doesn't occur to me to drink sometimes for weeks on end.
          I drink less since my local shut after the smoking ban.

I enjoy a drink when I fancy one and I don't care if others drink more or less than I do so long as they don't get stupidly aggressive.

Comment

Well, I shall attempt to respond politely to SAS's question, since it was asked innocently enough.

Essentially, it asked whether we (and I assume he means the collective public), should fund the treatment of others where the illness / disease is self-inflicted.

The price has already been paid.

It's called National Insurance, and it not only covers "lifestyle decisions of others, which you may or may not agree with", but it also covers you individually as well, for your own "lifestlye decisions, which others may or may not agree with".

Collectively, we all fund the NHS, and collectively we all benefit it from it, without the further complication and ethical dilemmas of choosing who is more worthy to receive treatment or not. (NICE notwithstanding, but that's a different story).

Hence, although it is justifiable to say "Why should I pay for others self-afflictions?", know then that others like me who pay our NI do so knowing that it will help me, you and others, regardless of misfortune or self-affliction, somewhere down the line.

I don't know your particular habits or vices, or if you even have any, but my share of my NI tax contribution for your treatment will be there when you need it.

If you are private, then no matter, my share can help someone else who isn't as fortunate.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
              It's called National Insurance, and it not only covers "lifestyle decisions of others, which you may or may not agree with", but it also covers you individually as well, for your own "lifestlye decisions, which others may or may not agree with".

Thank you for the injection of common sense.

I now see I was wrong to think body piercings and tattoos that go wrong should not be treated by the NHS. I had also wondered about mountain climbers that fall and get hurt and similar dangerous hobbies.

What you're saying is, if I want to moan about them, I have to give up alcohol, give up sometimes going over the speed limit and accept I shouldn't get treatment if my 25 years of smoking (stopped a few years ago) catches up with me.

Bollocks to that.

OK, I'll tolerate other people's foibles - it makes far more sense than living in a society that tells us we should not do that which is legal and makes life worth living.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                Well, I shall attempt to respond politely to SAS's question, since it was asked innocently enough.

Essentially, it asked whether we (and I assume he means the collective public), should fund the treatment of others where the illness / disease is self-inflicted.

The price has already been paid.

Bravo+1. Excellent piece of good sense and humanity.

Comment

and the latest scores are

BGG 1
                  SadGuru 0
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                  X