Paypal issues. Dodgy? Paypal issues. Dodgy?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,998

    Default Paypal issues. Dodgy?

    I got something on Ebay the other day and to cut a long story short the buyer has asked to make the transaction outwith paypal and just wondered what people think, here is the full story...

    I place the bid at 2.00 pm.
    At 4:00 pm I get a mail from paypal.fr saying that my account might have been accessed by a third party so the account has been limited.
    As it is from paypal.fr who I have never had dealings with I ignore it as spam
    I win the product and pay over paypal.
    I get a confirmed payment email then a second email from paypal.co.uk saying that my account has been limited.
    Guy mails me to say that the payment has been returned and his paypal account has been limited as well.
    Guy asks me to pay into his bank account as it might take 2 weeks to unlock his account.

    Now I do really want the product and it was a pretty decent price, the guy has had his account for 6 years and has been buying and selling similar stuff to what I have bought.

    So, is this a known scam? Would you go through with it?

    I take it if I pay into his account and he does not deliver then I have pretty much lost the money?

  2. #2

    Godlike

    chef is a permanent contractor

    chef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sverige
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    I take it if I pay into his account and he does not deliver then I have pretty much lost the money?
    Yes, plus you have a period of time to pay up and so contact paypal and ask WTF is going on
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning

    Bright Spark has no reputation


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    525

    Default

    depends on how much is money is involved, what's the amount?

  4. #4

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Spark View Post
    depends on how much is money is involved, what's the amount?
    190 squiggles.

  5. #5

    Bazzalike

    cailin maith 's job has never been outsourced

    cailin maith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    24,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    I got something on Ebay the other day and to cut a long story short the buyer has asked to make the transaction outwith paypal and just wondered what people think, here is the full story...

    I place the bid at 2.00 pm.
    At 4:00 pm I get a mail from paypal.fr saying that my account might have been accessed by a third party so the account has been limited.
    As it is from paypal.fr who I have never had dealings with I ignore it as spam
    I win the product and pay over paypal.
    I get a confirmed payment email then a second email from paypal.co.uk saying that my account has been limited.
    Guy mails me to say that the payment has been returned and his paypal account has been limited as well.
    Guy asks me to pay into his bank account as it might take 2 weeks to unlock his account.

    Now I do really want the product and it was a pretty decent price, the guy has had his account for 6 years and has been buying and selling similar stuff to what I have bought.

    So, is this a known scam? Would you go through with it?

    I take it if I pay into his account and he does not deliver then I have pretty much lost the money?
    When I have had stuff before that I have been unsure of - I have forwarded the email to paypal to check. One rule of thumb is that paypal ALWAYS address you by your name - so I always get "Dear Ms Cailin Maith" - anything you get that doesn't address you by your name I'd guess is bollocks.
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

  6. #6

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    103,250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    190 squiggles.
    Only an hour's work then. I would just pay up.

  7. #7

    Godlike like

    SallyAnne is too good to be a permie

    SallyAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sunderland
    Posts
    8,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    190 squiggles.
    Oh god - come on!!!!

    Ask the guy to post you the item, and on receipt you'll pay direct into his bank.

    When he laughs and says "no way!" say, well that's your answer from me too then!

    Email paypal and see what's going on!
    The pope is a tard.

  8. #8

    Godlike

    alreadypacked has more data than eek

    alreadypacked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Off-shore
    Posts
    5,945

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    At 4:00 pm I get a mail from paypal.fr saying that my account might have been accessed by a third party so the account has been limited.
    As it is from paypal.fr who I have never had dealings with I ignore it as spam
    I also got a mail from paypal.fr, I don't have a paypal account

    I am sure paypal have a process in place to fix this issue.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

  9. #9

    Dirty kapitalist spekulant

    DiscoStu has more data than eek

    DiscoStu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Andyw's mum's house
    Posts
    8,133

    Default

    Outwith?
    ǝןqqıʍ

  10. #10

    Ducklike

    Platypus is NOT a disguised employee

    Platypus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the pub
    Posts
    8,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Outwith?
    Perhaps he's a foreign sort?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •