• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gender Tests

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    From a personal standpoint - she is was she thinks she is
    So I AM a teapot? Phew.

Comment

From the athletics standpoint - does she have these attributes and does she gain an advantage from having them?
      In a way I'd like to agree. Trouble is, do we exclude people whose gender is less than 100% certain from participating in competitive sports? I'd say we shouldn't. Do we force a person who has some female, some male attributes to compete as a man? hmmm, that would surely put them at a disavantage.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        In a way I'd like to agree. Trouble is, do we exclude people whose gender is less than 100% certain from participating in competitive sports? I'd say we shouldn't. Do we force a person who has some female, some male attributes to compete as a man? hmmm, that would surely put them at a disavantage.
        No, not easy. I suppose we will be forced down the biochemistry route where limits are set (e.g. for hormones) which define which races you can participate in. I think this already happens with testosterone levels?
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

No, not easy. I suppose we will be forced down the biochemistry route where limits are set (e.g. for hormones) which define which races you can participate in. I think this already happens with testosterone levels?
          Yep, the testosterone levels are set high in the assumption that they're outside the natural range an so steroid users should be caught. Trouble is, who knows for sure how much testosterone a person can have in their body naturally? People naturally have differing levels of various chemicals. Those with a naturally high level of testosterone have a good capacity for building lean muscle mass, and are therefore likely to be succesful in sports involving speed and strength; is natural ability a form of cheating?

Comment

Yep, the testosterone levels are set high in the assumption that they're outside the natural range an so steroid users should be caught. Trouble is, who knows for sure how much testosterone a person can have in their body naturally? People naturally have differing levels of various chemicals. Those with a naturally high level of testosterone have a good capacity for building lean muscle mass, and are therefore likely to be succesful in sports involving speed and strength; is natural ability a form of cheating?
            I started to think that way, then remembered I've probably been infected with the PC disease . The answer of course is no, as I believe the theory of evolution.

With so much money involved in sport, law suits etc. you have to have rules, and that is the way it is going to continue to go.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I started to think that way, then remembered I've probably been infected with the PC disease . The answer of course is no, as I believe the theory of evolution.

With so much money involved in sport, law suits etc. you have to have rules, and that is the way it is going to continue to go.
              I agree. I just don't know how you reach a certain decision as to whether to classify a 'person of less than certain gender' as a man or a woman.

OK, for our own bedtime purposes it should be easy enough, but for purposes of law, rules and science it's a bit different.

Comment

I agree. I just don't know how you reach a certain decision as to whether to classify a 'person of less than certain gender' as a man or a woman.

OK, for our own bedtime purposes it should be easy enough, but for purposes of law, rules and science it's a bit different.
                Percentages. Seperate class for transgender/intersexual individuals who fall outside those percentages? Is that going too far and maybe we just have to say (as with us mere mortals) - sorry you are not fast/ugly/pretty enough.
                +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

If she has any unusual or untoward condition, it's most likely Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.

This is where a person with essentially "normal" male chromosomes (46,XY) has a mutation in the gene that codes the androgen receptor and thus ends up with female genitalia.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    If she has any unusual or untoward condition, it's most likely Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.

This is where a person with essentially "normal" male chromosomes (46,XY) has a mutation in the gene that codes the androgen receptor and thus ends up with female genitalia.
                    Interesting article. There was a very alarming section in there which suggested that nobody knew the best course of action to take to treat these people
                    "Since 1997, male assignment with early surgery is increasing in popularity, and even the third course of delaying surgery is sometimes followed. Advantages and disadvantages of this course will become apparent over the next two decades."
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X