Permie surrealism Permie surrealism
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Obstinate Git

    Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

    Mich the Tester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    27,893

    Default Permie surrealism

    Here's a transcript of a real life conversation I had with a permie development team lead this afternoon;

    Permie Team Lead; 'Hey Mich, I see that your test team haven't raised a lot of issues about the interfaces we developed'

    Mich the Tester; 'That's right, but the 7 issues they've raised are test blocking issues, meaning that the rest of the functionality on a particular interface can't be tested because the issue prevents the interface from working at all'

    PTL; 'I'm surprised because I expected much more issues'

    MTT; 'how many issues did you expect?'

    PTL; 'well about 250 or so, but don't take it as a personal attack'

    MTT; 'I won't, but on what do you base that number?'

    PTL; 'our development strategy'

    MTT; 'what do you mean?'

    PTL; 'well we built the interfaces in a hurry'

    MTT; 'let me turn the question around, but don't take it personally; if you expected 250 issues, why did you deliver the software?'

    PTL; 'because the board of directors gave me an unrealistic deadline'

    MTT; 'and you didn't tell them their deadline was unrealistic?'

    PTL; 'I did, but the problem is I need to prove that to them now and I need many more issues to prove that I was right about the deadline!'

    MTT; 'are you suggesting that this is MY problem?'

    PTL; 'not as such no'

    MTT; 'good, then we agree that this is not my problem'

    PTL; 'erm, yes' (walks off in a huff muttering 'bloody overpaid contractors etc'

    Now then, sometimes I have moments of self doubt and start to think I'm the mad one. But then I snap back into a quasi rational mode and think that permies live in some off-parallel universe where the laws of nature are just a bit skewed, rather like a painting by Dali or Matisse.

    Are they really all this mad?
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 19th August 2009 at 21:09.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

  2. #2

    Super poster

    swamp is too good to be a permie

    swamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    Does he sign your timesheets?
    Cats are evil.

  3. #3

    Obstinate Git

    Mich the Tester is NOT a disguised employee

    Mich the Tester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Euroland
    Posts
    27,893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    Does he sign your timesheets?
    no
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

  4. #4

    Super Tramp

    RichardCranium has more data than eek

    RichardCranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Up Tulip Creek
    Posts
    12,285

    Default

    I can see where the PTL is coming from. But why they got in a huff I cannot imagine. You're doing them a favour.

    I suspect the huff was because you are unable to access the other 240+ errors yet.

  5. #5

    Super poster

    swamp is too good to be a permie

    swamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    Does he sign your timesheets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    no
    smile and think of the money
    Cats are evil.

  6. #6

    Party Animal

    Zippy has more data than eek

    Zippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mr Flibble's wardrobe
    Posts
    20,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
    I can see where the PTL is coming from. But why they got in a huff I cannot imagine. You're doing them a favour.

    I suspect the huff was because you are unable to access the other 240+ errors yet.
    If the directors are too thick to accept the estimates of the people they pay to develop the interfaces, they are going to be too thick to grasp that blocking issues are as bad as it gets. Only 7 errors - great - we were expecting 250.

    Had that stupid f-ing conversation. Utterly pointless

  7. #7

    Should post faster

    dozer has no reputation


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    149

    Default

    250 you say? you can do a lot of invoicing retesting all of them, good times

  8. #8

    More time posting than coding

    mace has no reputation

    mace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    328

    Default

    If you find 250 errors, you'll upset some of the developers plus the CIO. If you stick with 7, you upset the technical architect. I'd stick with 7.

  9. #9

    Contractor Among Contractors

    Not So Wise has no reputation

    Not So Wise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    PTL; 'because the board of directors gave me an unrealistic deadline'

    MTT; 'and you didn't tell them their deadline was unrealistic?'

    PTL; 'I did, but the problem is I need to prove that to them now and I need many more issues to prove that I was right about the deadline!'
    Response at this point should have been:
    'Unfortunatly you did such a bad/great job we cannot access your other 243 errors because the first 7 are so big'

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    d000hg - scorchio!

    d000hg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    My house
    Posts
    32,047

    Default

    "Forget the number 7. The software is so broken we can't get far enough to test anything."

    I'm not sure what the permie did wrong. He told the higher-up people the deadline was unrealistic and now wants to give them the kind of evidence he thinks they'll understand - a big number of errors.
    The whole "Well, as long as it's not my problem I don't give a crap" response puts Mich in the wrong unless I missed something.
    Last edited by d000hg; 19th August 2009 at 23:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •