• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the difference.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference.....

between Consultants and Contractors?

+£600 per day?

The role?

The mindset?

T

fat tie knots + suits. No wait, that's recruitment agents.

Big back handers to the client?

Comment

A 'consultant' works for a large consultancy who charge £1,200 to £2,500 per day for a recent graduate with no work experience who gets paid £23k.

A 'contractor' is an experienced professional on £250 to £500 per day who teaches the graduate how to do their job and clears up after them.

Me bitter?

Oh, yes.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Consultant is an expert with no peers on the project, who works on advising the client with the aid of Powerpoint.

Contractor is a permie on a temp contract who sits in a permie team doing the same work as the permies.

Comment

A consultant goes in and advises (or consults) with the client suggesting that the moon should be put on a stick and that it will only take a few weeks. They leave with either a half arsed attempt at it (which failed but was fudged to look like it part works and will do later "with a bit of tweaking") or the leave before the implementation point after writing a lengthy document containing exactly zero useful input but sounding like the moon/stick idea is very possible under time and onbudget, said "Consultant" then advises the sales dept exactly wht the client is missing from their product suite and it goes around again in circles. As RC says above, these "consultants" usually come from companies such as "@ss sent ya" or other similarly sh!te large org's where they have got to "consultant" level by bending over for their boss or photocopying a certificate from their friend Bob Shawadiwadi and getting on a plane.

A contractor i sthen brought in (at a much cheaper rate being billed to the client), takes the above mess, advises the client what is realistically possible, tries to re-arrange the deadline dates to something more realistic (ideally plus a few weeks to allow some CUK "research") and gets on with getting the job done.
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Consultant is a contractor in the states.

HTH

Comment

A Consultant drives a porsche 911, a contractor drives a BMW 3 Series.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Spark View Post
                A Consultant drives a porsche 911, a contractor drives a BMW 3 Series.

HTH
                What about contractors like me who catch a big blue bus every morning?

Comment

Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
                  What about contractors like me who catch a big blue bus every morning?
                  They're called Chavs.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    They're called Chavs.

HTH
                    Says the Swindon boy!

Comment

Working...
                    X