• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keeping the Lie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping the Lie

In another (rather silly) thread, RC says,

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    My wife's friend is 'seeing' a married man in Seattle. We're expected to keep the lie for her.
    I thought this might be worth it's own thread - which situation have you been in where you've had to "keep the lie" ??

At the moment, there's a couple I know whose marriage is slowly collapsing (although HE doesn't know it yet). Their close friends are having to cover up her mis-deeds so as not to "out" the collapse to what will be a very distraught man, while on the other hand they're feeling terrible for keeping him in the dark.

This is the same pattern as my own break-up several years ago, and it sucks

Tell your stories and share the lie here

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    In another (rather silly) thread, RC says,

I thought this might be worth it's own thread - which situation have you been in where you've had to "keep the lie" ??

At the moment, there's a couple I know whose marriage is slowly collapsing (although HE doesn't know it yet). Their close friends are having to cover up her mis-deeds so as not to "out" the collapse to what will be a very distraught man, while on the other hand they're feeling terrible for keeping him in the dark.

This is the same pattern as my own break-up several years ago, and it sucks

Tell your stories and share the lie here
    That is exactly what happened in my first marriage. I was very young (and as stupid as I am today). And all of our shared friends hid her mis-deeds from me.

I would rather have been told before too many mis-deeds to be honest.

Lying sucks but people tend to do what is easiest for them and not (as they claim) what is least painful/best for the person being wronged.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Comment

I will not lie for anybody.
      If it is a close friend then I will tell them the painful truth.
      If they are not so close then I will tell one of their closer friends the truth and advise the friend to tell the subject.

Sometimes it backfires. One friend got engaged to a girl who had been shagging anyone who would have her. She had given most of them an STD or two.
      I told my friend. He has not spoken to me since. He would not believe me, said I was trying to split them up so I could have her etc. Got married got divorced due to her infidelity and mate buggered off due to not being able to face any of us.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Honesty is the best policy.
        She can`t complain about people telling him, she should have been more descreet if she wanted to keep control over the failing relationship herself. Maybe others know because she wants him to find out via someone else rather than her own chicken self.

I can`t stand liars, been affected myself by far to many liars over my short life, even in contracting where a fellow contractor has lied about me to get themself out of the sh**. One of my problems is if I`m affected by a liar I`ll fight all I can to get the truth exposed if I can, rather than saying my piece and shuting up. I`m learning though......
        Last edited by SuperZ; 20 August 2009, 12:31.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
          Maybe others know because she wants him to find out via someone else rather than her own chicken self.
          In this case, I think you could be right.

I'm not close enough to any of them to say something myself, so in the meantime it makes an intriguing if distasteful spectacle.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            In this case, I think you could be right.

I'm not close enough to any of them to say something myself, so in the meantime it makes an intriguing if distasteful spectacle.
            Send a email from Anon.

Comment

I'd only blurt out a confession when p|ssed

Comment

If this bird is bonking anything in trousers its only fair that you do the right thing, send me her phone number right away

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  If this bird is bonking anything in trousers its only fair that you do the right thing, send me her phone number right away
                  She's not bonking *anything* in trousers, worse luck

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Careful, she might be a right munter. Ask for pictures first.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X