• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whos says A-Levels are getting easier

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whos says A-Levels are getting easier

They got a B and a C and they only took one A level each.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/8211160.stm

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
    They got a B and a C and they only took one A level each.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/8211160.stm

Peter and Paula Imafidon, who attend Calcot Junior School in Reading, took the University of Cambridge's advanced mathematics paper.

The paper is more advanced than a basic maths A-level exam and is based on mathematical reasoning.
    Ah, that explains why my old school and several others I would have expected to see there aren't in the A-level results league over at the Telegraph.

If I remember correctly the A and S levels I sat were Oxford and Cambridge ones, which were designed to make you think in the exam, and were more highly rated by universities.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I wonder how long it would take the average person on here to study a subject (not a non-subject) well enough to come away with an A in an A level exam. A month's solid studying?

Presumably they have thought of that and require course work to be included, to help cover how easy it is?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        According to some Professor or other who was waffling away on the Today prog on R4 this morning, it's all explained by the kids getting brighter...
        I guess you are not seeing the evidence?
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          I wonder how long it would take the average person on here to study a subject (not a non-subject) well enough to come away with an A in an A level exam. A month's solid studying?

Presumably they have thought of that and require course work to be included, to help cover how easy it is?
          I think you exaggerate. I gave our/my partner's daughter homework help/tuition for her A-level maths. It wasn't trivial. I could have sat it myself with confidence, after a month's solid studying, but then I already have a maths degree from the old days. I'd say the average person on here, whose intelligence and ability I do respect, would have a bit more than that to do.

Comment

I think Labour have done a great job in making all of our youngsters so intelligent. Even attempted insurance fraudsters in Brazil are law graduates !!

Comment

There was an educationist on Radio 4 this morning who asserted that the average (not sure what average) 11 plus standard child of the 1940s would be considered educationally subnormal by today's standards.
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                There was an educationist on Radio 4 this morning who asserted that the average (not sure what average) 11 plus standard child of the 1940s would be considered educationally subnormal by today's standards.

Was he/she a Scot by any chance ?

Comment

Yes his name was Scot a bit like your name but without the r and e
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                  X